Pole Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by clanless, Sep 19, 2017.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    I've been looking at the hedge for far too long - so yesterday went to B&Q and purchased a Mac Allister pole hedge trimmer. I try to avoid any work which involves step ladders since the 'loft' incident.

It's a good piece of equipment - made quick work of the front hedge - some of which is about 8 foot tall - but by 'eck it's unwieldy.

Unextended it's twice the length of a 'normal' trimmer - but when extended - you have to be careful not to take out any upstairs windows.

I borrowed a friends battery hedge trimmer to 'finish' the hedge.

The moral of the story - unless you are a Schwarzenegger look a like - I'd avoid pole hedge trimmers :biggrin:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Ha ha Clanless, sage advice! I also had a loft incident, and have had a mortal fear of ladders ever since. We just got a fixed one fitted in the loft and I'm even scared to use that (can't let the OH know as he didn't want one in the first place but I persuaded him I would use the loft again if we got one). :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,635
      They are a bit top heavy, the trick is to keep it balanced using the shoulder strap to take the weight. Then just use your arms to guide it. It took me a while to find the best way and a lot of fiddling about with the straps to get them the right length.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259