Polycarbonate Greenhouses

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Redwing, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Does anyone have any experience of these? I'm thinking of buying one or similar but am worried about stability. I have a suitable wall for a lean to. Will it blow away on a windy day? I am prepared to reinforce it if necessary. I don't want a large greenhouse, just something to overwinter my citrus and scented pelargoniums and grow a few tomatoes in summer.

Lean to Greenhouse Garden Foundation Polycarbonate Aluminium Grow Plants 4.09m³ | eBay

2. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Hi Redwing, I got a Palram Harmony 6x8 polycarbonate greenhouse for my birthday last July. I was very concerned about how secure it would be, particularly when we started building it, as the polycarbonate panels seemed so flimsy. However, despite having to be situated in the most exposed part of the garden it has weathered everything that Mother Nature has flung its way. I have been extremely impressed. We laid the greenhouse on slabs which we put down, and my husband screwed the base of the greenhouse frame onto these slabs, which provided an excellent anchor. Not a single polycarbonate panel has come loose, and neither have the door or window. I would highly recommend this type of greenhouse :dbgrtmb:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Thanks @Irmemac. That is reassuring and you in the west of Scotland which I know experiences a lot of wind! I'm on a hill so fairly exposed too.

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      We do get the occasional light breeze....
      IMG_3220.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        • Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          Yes, if it was warmer weather I would have got it myself, but in these cold times more likely they would be burying me in York !:biggrin:

Think for £120 you cannot really go far wrong with those cheapy greenhouses, just give it a solid base and when you fit a shelf or staging attach them to the frame as it will increase the rigidity of the whole structure.

You can buy, from most diy places, some aluminium angle 25 or 32 mm in various lengths to add extra bracing if needed; I used some on my Kensington Elite 6x8 lean to and its surprising how just the odd length makes it so much stronger.

The only downside with your 6x4 is that as everyone with a greenhouse knows knows, once you have used it for a while you wish you had got a bigger one ! :)
          Tomatoes, lead to cucumbers, lead to peppers, lead to ...... but you could always add another onto the length of your first one.

• Like Like x 3
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            Update

Well I bought one similar to the one above on eBay.....big mistake. There were many parts missing, including the base and structural supports. A complete waste of money and impossible to erect. After much discussion my money was refunded. I’ll be looking elsewhere now.

• Like Like x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184
              Oh dear, that a shame, why did the supplier not send you a full complete replacement greenhouse; were they UK or China based sellers ?

I've only had a Hall standard 8x6 greenhouse which was 100% and lasted 20 years before I sold it on after getting an Elite 8x6 lean to which despite is being the same floor size is actually a lot more practical because it doesn't have the low eaves , its minimum height at any point is 6ft.
              Again the Elite very solid and long lasting,

Thing is what price are you prepared to spend ? does not look like much else between those cheapies and then £500+ for a well know brand like the Elite. :sad:

• Like Like x 1
              • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,830
                I’ve no idea why he didn’t send another but he doesn’t seem to want this one back. The seller seemed to be UK based but I now don’t think so, probably somewhere in Europe. His English wasn’t great. I’m now looking at something like this but as you say @ricky101 , a lot more expensive.

4x8 Green Vitavia Ida Lean to Greenhouse Toughened

• Like Like x 2
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,184
                  That looks a nice greenhouse but no experience of that brand, though its sold quiet widely by regular UK stockists.

Hopefully other members can vouch for its quality, though it looks the real thing.

Those front facing double doors do look really very handy; I find lugging large planters into my greenhouse via its less than 2ft wide side door very difficult at times.

The only thing I would add, is what almost every greenhouse buyer says, once the bug has bitten, is that they wish they had bought the larger sized one :)

The only extra tips I could give for a lean to, is consider its location in respect of power and water connection from the house, if thats possible; perhaps not something for you now, but might be in the future.

Good luck

• Like Like x 2
                  • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,830
                    Thanks for comments. I liked the look of those doors too. I don't intend to heat it and want something to overwinter my citrus and scented pelargoniums and grow toms in summer. It'll be against a nice SE facing wall.

I've had greenhouses in the past at different houses and know you (almost) never have enough space BUT I am now getting older and know my limitations; I don't want a big one. I thought I could get by with only a cold frame but find I actually do want a small greenhouse.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,686
                      What a shame the first greenhouse didn't work out. I'm glad you got your money back in the end. The new lean to gr enhouse looks great. Like others, I really like the double doors. Much more practical, and sound ideal for what you want to do with yours. Enjoy, when it arrives :spinning:.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2