Polycarbonate or Glass

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mowgley, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Evening all

After much deliberating i have decided to get a greenhouse for christmas. My girlfriend said she will buy it for me [​IMG] . I have decided on a 8x6 one but cannot decide on either glass or polycarbonate. Are there any advantages to either?

[ 26. November 2007, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: mowgley ]

2. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Got that wrong did'n't I - will try again. Obviously, glass breaks and PC does not. However Polycarbonate can be prone to discolouration and is not scratch resistant - in the longer term it can break down due to the stresses caused by changing weathe conditions. I would still opt for Polycarbonate.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Mowgley. I'm just buying a g.house myself (arrives next week I think) and went through the same thing. I decided on glass because I don't get many high winds here and it will be well away from the road so people outside my glass house won't be able to throw stones. In general I think Chobart has summed up what I considered but I reached the other conclusion. I think that if it isn't subject to stresses and, as you will be able to see it from my back garden and I don't want that yellow PC look in a few years (whilst I am sitting drinking my martini) then glass is best. After all I have glass in my windows. [​IMG]

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I used toughened glass cann't be to careful John it's worth the extra for toughened, you could accidentally fall against it (god forbid) or it could be a danger to kids worth giving it another thought.

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626