Polytunnel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Greenlady, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Greenlady

Greenlady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what I can sow now in my new polytunnel ? preferably edible crops ?

I'm a new tunnel owner, had a late start this year but I was very pleased with my crops. I would like it to 'earn it's keep' over the winter if possible.
    Thanks.
    Greenlady

2. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Greenlady,

if you can wait till after christmas when things warm up a tad you can sow some quick matureing carrots (Amsterdam forcing or something like that) you could try some before & cover them with a bit of fleece if it gets cold.

Kellys Lettuce ( I think it is) is an over wintering one as well. and of course you can plant some early Potaoes in there as well especially if you can give them a bit of prtection from fleece or even a cloche.

If you haven't got it already get hold of a copy of Bernard Salts book "Gardening under Plastic" thats about the best one there is.

Nick

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Yes rather late for sowing in the PT as seeds won't germinate. But if you can start them in heat and then transplant you should gain a month to six weeks on outdoor crops.
    We grew Winter Density lettuce last spring (sown November in GH and transplanted to PT) - it was super and among the best tasting lettuce we've found. Radishes can be an early crop too - we were eating our first in mid March.

Thanks for the tip about the book Nick. I'll try to get a copy

[ 02. December 2006, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Dave W ]

4. tig

tig Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    was just about to recommend the same book nick, it is indeed a really good book for polytunnel users. ive found this book very useful, shows you what you can grow throughout the year etc. [​IMG]

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    You can grow in the poly tunnel anything which you can grow in your vegetable garden during the year. For example lettuce, courgettes, tomatoes, herbs etc. and I thik also fruit, as there are now some small fruit trees which could possibly fit in a polytunnel.
    The temperature in the polytunnel is quite good and the level of humidity is very good as the volume of air is usually bigger than a small greenhouse. I find it very pleasant to walk inside a polytunnel in the winter. You only have to watch out to assemble it correctly because you don't want to mess about in the heavy rain or snow if some connection is not holding.

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Also thanks about the Winter Density lettuce Dave W, I will try that in the GH. Got some rocket growing from a sowing about a week ago and seems ok.

7. Tweezers

Tweezers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I'm considering investing in a polytunnel. I've never even owned a greenhouse before. I'd like to use it mainly for propogation and starting off veg plants etc. I'd welcome anyones advice as to what to look for etc. I was thinking maybe about 2 x 3/4 metres. I live in France and haven't yet found a supplier (can see hundreds of them around though.....) but I'll be off searching on foot soon. I've tried searching on the internet but they're not really into exploiting their websites yet over here!! I've just ordered a couple of books on polytunnels.

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Tweezers the biggest problem with poly tunnels is the temperature fluctuation from day to night, one day last week when the sun was up it was 90f at night it dropped to 26f. what I have done is built a smaller tunnel inside and I can afford to heat this for my frost tender stuff. If you get one buy as much ventilation as you can with many you can get the whole sides to wind up leaving a mesh covering and also roof ventilation here's where I got mine from.
    http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/?gclid=CMXs0dTzw4oCFT4GQgod2RydlA

9. Tweezers

Tweezers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Walnut.Thats a good website, good info.

10. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi greenlady, I start off indoors from feb / mar til apr then move to the pt. I grow toms, cues, courgettes, peppers, sweetcorn, carrots, lettuce, etc, and all in gro bags, infact anything you want earlier than on a veg plot. I have to gro certain things in the pt as my summers are a bit short [​IMG]
    But i've grown melons and a vine. But i recently moved the vine outside, it took up too much room. With a pt, as a greenhouse, the world of growing is now your oyster.

11. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I never thought of using growbags standing up for veg, are they cut in half? do you grow tomatoes in them? do they have to be close together to support them standing up and do tomatoes not mind being that close together?

so many questions :confused:

sorry! ;)

12. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kaytutt, Yes i cut the bags virtaully in half, but keep a section joined so as they hold each other together. Yes i grow toms in them, as well as cues. [​IMG]
    They hold the canes up too, so i can train all the veg up. The toms don't mind being so close, but then i cut most of the leaves off when the 1st truss has set, leaving only a few at the very top. they fruit really well.

13. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, I think I will give that a go this year, it certainly seems to save some space, cheaper than buying tetacotta pots and you dont have to have storage for a zillion pots during the winter either.

I'm amazed at the amount of excellent tips I have picked up from reading these forums.

thanks once again

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I like that idea, Compostee - simple, practical, and effective, by the looks of things! :D

I'll definitely give that a go!

15. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :D Well compostee your poly tunnel idea is looking better & better....!!!! I love the space you have.. I have been chatting with my Son in law & I think he will be putting one up later in the year for me on his land so I shall be able to go & play in there... [​IMG] [​IMG] :D :D