Pomegranate Potted

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by FloraPie, Jan 31, 2017.

?

Do You Like Pomegranates?

1. What are Pomegranates?

2. I love Pomegranates!

3. I dislike Pomegranates!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
    +295
    This is my first Pomegranate tree/bush/plant in its second pot. I grew it from seed. It was grown because I just love the fruit :wub2: and it's in a pot because I need it to be movable. In winter it didn't do much and it was dangerously pot bound but now the summer has arrived and it has a new container in which to spend the next few years, it's looking much better. Now I only have to wait for... anything up to 7 years :old: apparently.

pomegranatepottedinaustraliaGC.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,284
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,378
      You will probably have more chance of getting fruit in Australia than we have in the UK.

Mine tends to grow really well and flowers, but the fruits never reach full size here, summers are too short I guess.

Not sure its going to like growing in a pot full time though.

• Like Like x 3
      • FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
        +295
        Good morning @wiseowl my friend :wub2: Oh! I didn't know they could or would grow in England. I do now though!! Thanks. Yours looks very happy and I can see that it has been pruned already. Seems that the main branches are the ones to chop back so that it gets bushier? Thanks so much for the link. Gosh what a fruit!! I knew it was good eating and I knew it was super healthy, but wow, sounds like it's a SUPER healer in nearly everything. Any fruit on yours yet??

@pete Ah.. so they can grow and bloom in colder weather but just not fruit so well. Thanks. The smaller fruit you are getting, do you eat them? And why might it not like being potted? I have no choice though and so I hope that it can :snork: Do you have any pics of yours?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,284
          Good morning @FloraPie my friend no fruit as yet but I am as always optimistic ,enjoy your day;)

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,378
          Well I've got a plant which I grew from seed bought as Punica nana, its a dwarf form which is really only grown for flowers, the fruit are always small.

I also have a couple of plants grown from seed taken from fruit, they flower more sparsely and any fruit that forms never gets to any real size due to the short season, it doesn't ripen so not edible.

The fruiting plant is basically a large shrub or small tree, which is why I tend to think pot culture might not be the best way of growing if you want fruit.

Not taken any pics to speak of in recent years, but came across this one from 2015.
          DSC_0184.JPG

• Like Like x 3
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,378
            Found a few more pics from 2007.
            July 07 217.jpg July 07 219.jpg
            Should point out this is the dwarf variety.

• Like Like x 3
            • FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
              +295
              @pete Thank you so much. Your Pomegranate bush looks great. Hows that foliage :snork: colour, form and bloom, just beautiful!

That's how I grew mine and it had better be a big fruiting one. I love their form anyhow, but geeze I want the fruit.

:thud: OH. So my pot thing probably wont work. Bigger pot then, mounted on a set of motorized wheels.
              I plan on winning the pot war with this one. My very own mobile tree/bush sounds appealing and besides, it's a pot or nothing.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,378
                I tend to think that if its grown from the seed taken from fruit then it must be the species, I'm not really up on it all, but wondering if there are named varieties in the countries that grow them commercially?
                Could be, but I'm sure yours is capable of growing fruit, but it could take a few years before the first flowers, give it loads of heat and sun.

• FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
                +295
                @pete :heehee: Yes, I realized after I posted.. what it sounded like. And of course it would have an excellent chance of fruiting if the seed came from a fruit. I edited the post with the word 'big'. Being potted and all, I just don't want to see small inedible fruit. Thank you for being SO tactful with your reply :imphrt:

We are supposedly getting an 'Indian Summer' this year and so this one has every chance of as much sun as it likes. And besides.. I gave it some coloured rock bling. They are moon rocks that glow at night and so I am sure that they'll help :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1