Pond Vac

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Ghollum, May 7, 2006.

1. Ghollum

Ghollum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Has anyone used a pond vac to clean the bottom of their pond? I have had to clean out our filter box twice in the past month as the mats inside have been absolutely covered in thick black mud and the water flow from the outlet has been pathetic.This pond has been in for 3 years now and this is the first time I have had this problem.The fish in there are getting rather large now and I am wondering if perhaps they are stirring the bottom up a bit.The deep end of the pond is about 3 ft + deep and this is where the waterfall is.The plants are well established - water lilies are going beserk already - the only problem with the pond is the muddy water.It was perfectly clear up to about March now it is brown - def not algae or green water.Can I get the excess sludge out of the pond without upsetting the balance and would a pond vac work?
    Ghollum

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,118
    Good question Ghollum, I've got the same problem.
    Think I've got too many fish in mine, will be interested in the replies.

3. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,167
    I alway find this is the most difficult time for a pond,I dredge with a fine net,clean foam when necessary,make sure pump is raised off the bottom and of course the fish are mateing at this time causing much turbulance.
    I have considered a pond vac but at �£160 I don't think the end would justify the means.
    I dont think this upsets the ballance because you never get it all out and anyway the filter keeps ballance.............

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a wee trick that will keep your pump flowing for a lot longer.

If you get a plastic basket (Supermarket ones are ideal but make sure its a strong plastic one not metal :cool: - mine came from B&? ;) ) 1/3 fill it with small gravel (10mm mesh), sit your pump in the middle of the basket then fill the basket to the top with more gravel making sure the pump is completely buried.

It acts as a small gravel filter as the water is drawn though it and it will also trap larger particles before they can clog your pump. The other benefit is, it helps to distribute the water flowing into the pump over a much wider area and hence slows it down so less gunk is picked up. As has already been mentioned use a couple of bricks or something to lift the basket and pump off the pond bottom as well.

When it's time for a clean out of the pump filter lift the whole lot out and wash the gravel a couple of times with some clear pond water as well(tap water has chlorine in it and can upset the bacteria on the gravel). Once everthing is clean return it to the pond.

5. Ghollum

Ghollum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.Sorry haven't replied before but have been laid low by a really horrible bug and have felt like poo.Good news though the pond does seem to have got some balance back and the water is a lot clearer and the pump (now inside plastic basket & gravel) is working fine.Only problem now is trying to keep down the pond plants that are going absolutely beserk but still can't have it all ways.The unpredictibility is what makes it all worth while.
    Ghollum

6. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Frogesque - that pump in a bucket tip is great! I used to have a pump in my old pond, which simply pumped water up a tube to then cascade back into the pond again. The flow always dwindled off rapidly as the filter clogged and I soon got tired of it. However, I might give that idea of yours a try with my new pond I'm building at the moment - thanks!

7. Tangle

Tangle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Resurecting old posts rather than starting new ones ;)

1) Rodders - how fine a "fine net" do you need to dredge effectively? Are they easy to come by?

2) Lots of places round here have got some good discounts on - Pond-O-Vac 2's for �£99 (rather than �£190). At that price would it be more worthwhile?

3) Does anyone think the "continuous action" through dual tank system worth an extra Ã?£100 (they've got those on offer as well [​IMG] )?

4) Frogeque (or anyone else who's doing it [​IMG] ) How stable is the "filter in gravel" system? Our pond wasn't teribly well designed - to get into deep water the pump has to go through 50cm of irises (which are on the list to decimate) and over the edge into the abyss, whereupon I can't reach any further and just let it settle itself - hopefully near the bottom (washing line fastened for removal). How would I get the gravel pot in without tiping it everywhere?

Sorry - lots of questions [​IMG] . Any help greately appreciated :D

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I bought one of those diddy pond vacs that run off the tap. Only prob - my pond is 'diddy' too so there's hardly enough room to move it around! Does suck up a little bit of stuff but never bothered last year or this and the pond seems fine without the intervention. I haven't got any fish.