poor flowering

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Badass, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Badass

Badass Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a terrace and have a narrow back garden which doesn't get much sun, all flowering plants i grow end up really tall and usually fall over. what plants could i grow?

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Depends on soil type and whether the garden tends to be damp. Things like foxglove, lily of the valley, anemones, violets and cyclamen should be ok. Fuschia and Aquilegias are very amenable. Ivies come in different shades, also many shrubs such as robinia, acers and pieris have different leaf colours, and camellias like shade if your soil is acid enough [or try containers]. And don't forget ferns and hosta, which flower quite well. Hope this helps!

3. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dark damp corner of my garden and I have filled it with bamboo, banana, ferns, tree fern, hanging baskets (they get the sun as they are higher)and various grasses, hostas and yucca. They are all in pots arranged at different hights so I can play around with them as the seasons change.I also painted the fence behind a light willow colour to make the plant colours stand out more and I have a clematis montana just trailing over the fence behind.
    astilbe and hardy geraniums are another idea.
    hummmmm lots to think about.
    :eek:

4. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sam,
    I like the idea of pots,as my borders are almost full. Are the shrubs and plants you mention hardy and can pots stay outside all winter?

5. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi the tree fern and banana need to be taken into greenhouse/shed or indoors over the frosts or wrapped up to protcet them while there are frosts around.
    everything eles is left outside as they are during the winter.
    you can buy frost proof pots, again if you have paid good money for a large pot it wont hurt to just place bubble wrap around it over the winter.
    I also use old wooden barrels, old metal dustbins, buckets infact anything that I can get my hands on that is slightly different.
    I guess if you are worried about pot and plant it wont hurt to give it a little extra protection.
    hope this helps

6. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hostas are a good bet - the "blue" varieties are best in the shade

7. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sam
    I have Rhododendrons and Azaleas in wooden barrels and they do fine,also hostas in pots which I cut down and top dress with compost. I was thinking more of bamboo and ferns but I could always move them into the greenhouse if they don't get too heavy. Could I keep a red hot poker outside in a pot. Just dug it out as I need space for Michealmas daisy.