Poorly dog needing good thoughtss

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Liz, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    First of all, Happy Christmas to everyone, I haven't been posting for a while-and it's all changed!

[​IMG]

This is Pickles the Frisbee King, my daughter's very tiny shelty. He is very poorly at the moment having been run over. He has just had a very long operation during which he had his right hip joint removed, his pelvis screwed together in several places and a lot of tissue from his left leg removed. He also had broken ribs. A friend wrote a prayer for him:-
    Prayer:
    Good dog! May you live and be healthy, may you walk, run and play without pain. May you taste good food and smell good smells. May you know the love of your people as long as you live, and may that be for many years to come.

We think he needs as many kind thoughts as possible, as he will be sad if he can't chase the frisbee.
    Thank heavens he was insured. He is at the Willows Orthopaedic animal hospital-

http://www.willowsreferrals.co.uk/

2. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now crying, this poor, beautiful dog.
    He is on my mind and in my heart.

How long will he be at Willows?

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,483
    Oh, Liz, I was just thinking of you this past week. And a good holiday season to you as well. [​IMG]

Poor, darling Pickles ... and if I were to have a dog it would be a 1) Shelty or 2 ) Long-haired Yorkie. T'other half and I had a Border Collie in our early years in the States.

Well, my Boo (Magic Sam) had his right hip joint removed after being hit by a vehicle at seven months old and had severe internal injuries. The vet wouldn't keep him and told me to take him home because he would only survive if he was with me ... and bless him he still is, now aged 12 plus. And now he has Cal, he has another persona ... scrambling up trees, racing around like a kitten ... it's a joy to watch him and it's added years to his life. [​IMG]

My thoughts are certainly with Pickles, your daughter and yourself ... and am sure he will come out of this to live a good life, even if he may be a bit scrambled from it all. [​IMG]

Bless him. xx

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Liz, this time last year was a black time in our terrier community with some of our friends having a number of VERY sick dogs, but the Vets did their stuff and all the terriers recovered (some not as quick as others),so take heart, what's done is in the past and can't be undone. You have all my thoughts for a good outcome.<<<Hugs>>>

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Hi Liz,
    I was wondering about you too the other day.. Seasons Greetings to you to.
    :( So sorry to hear about Pickles.. He looks a strong dog & obviously loves life, sending all good wishes to him for a speedy recovery.. [​IMG] Such a difficult time of year too, but I am sure he will get better in the hospitals hands. Looks a wonderful place..
    Do let us know of his progress.. [​IMG]

6. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
    We must be close neighbours, Willows are my local vets.
    They nursed my previous cat through a plethora of ailments. Heart disease, ulcerated eye, irritable bowels, asthma, slipped disc and arthritis.

If anybody can fix pickles, Willows can. He couldn't be in better hands.

7. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Liz,

Pickles is in my thoughts and prayers. There have been some great break throughs in Veterinary Science over recent years [​IMG]

8. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    "Good dog! May you live and be healthy, may you walk, run and play without pain. May you taste good food and smell good smells. May you know the love of your people as long as you live, and may that be for many years to come."

So well thought out ,it pretty well sum's it all up Liz ,sending my good wishes & positive vibes.XX

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts- this morning 's report was very encouraging. He is lively and alert, golloping down his food and trying to put weight on the right leg. If he continues to improve he will be home by the weekend, in time for Christmas! I am amazed by his resilience [fingers still crossed].

NurseWhen, my daughter lives some distance from Solihull, in Balsall Heath, but the vet referred Pickles as he said they could do things he couldn't!

Whiley, what a great rat picture, and accidentalgardener, I love the giggling puppy!

LoL, I too had a cat who we think was hit by a car. He disappeared for weeks and we thought he was gone for good, but he reappeared one morning in a very bad way, very thin and hardly able to walk. The vet said no surgery was possible as his pelvis was scrambled [his word] and some of the bones had already begun to fuse. I don't know how he managed for food and water while he was gone, but like Magic Sam he survived for a good few years afterwards.

I will post some pics when we get Pickles home. [See, I am being very positive!]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,586
    Long time no 'see' Liz, I'ts a heartbraking time when a pet is seriously ill, we are all hopng for the best, how are you by the way? [​IMG]

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Good News Liz, Dogs are great, they can't lie or pretend, so if hes up and eating he's feeling better [​IMG] Dee..

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    All best wishes to Pickles - hope the recovery is REALLY speedy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's wishing sweet little Pickles a speedy recovery Liz, I'm sure he will have a fun life once he has recovered even if he's not able to run after the Frisbee I'm sure he will find something else that's not so fast to chase!
    Helen.xxx.

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] That is good news to hear Liz, he must be feeling a bit better then.. I hope the recovery is good & quick & a happy Christmas.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    More good news today, Pickles will come home tomorrow- all being well. He has a patch to control pain [something like the clickable morphine drip which humans have] which will be removed tomorrow morning, and if he tolerates the removal he can come home. He is not yet trying to walk and he has to be encouraged to stand a little. My daughter is being given a regime of medication and massages for him, and we are reminded that he will need a lot of nursing.
    He is also all shaven and shorn so we will have to be careful not to offend him by laughing. The summer before last he was so hot he was clipped and he looked very funny- everyone thought he was a puppy. I imagine he will have something akin to a poodle cut! Poor dog...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]