Poorly Escallonia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SarahInTheGarden, Apr 13, 2006.

1. SarahInTheGarden

SarahInTheGarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two Escallonia, both in pots and situated next to each other, one is looking the picture of health, the other is suffering with brown spots on the leaves - I am worried as not only is this unsightly but might be infectious.

What do you think?

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I grow several escalonia, one (gold lefed variety)I have to say looks totaly dead appart from one branch and another (apple blossom) looks very sad, the green leaves ate going yellow which with me is often the case of them getting too much water.

We have had some real cold spells round here this winter and some of them do not lo=ike wind. You will probably find that they recover as the weather improves.

3. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Black spots on leaves.

This may be fungal leaf spots a commom disease that badly blotches leaves.
    Control it by spraying with bupirimate with triforine,penconazole or myclobutanil. Ideally, improve air circulation around plants and avoid wetting leaves when watering,which should NOT be done late in the day. This problem may also be due to sunburn so it depends where you have them. Hope this has helped as i had the same problem last year with my escallonia "donald radiance" and it was because i was wetting the leaves.
    I dont think you can kill these shrubs as my Mum has one up in the Outher Hebrides and even with 100mph winds it still flowers

4. SarahInTheGarden

SarahInTheGarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for your replies, I will just keep an eye on it for now and see if it improves when/if the weather improves