1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Poorly Goldcrest Conifers.

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Rustler, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Good afternoon people.
    After a good few years, my conifers have taken a big turn for the worse. They are dry and brittle although always kept watered. It's a sudden development over the last week and looks like I may lose them.
    Any ideas if and how to save them?
    Many thanks. Russ.

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,547
    Sorry Russ, I think they are to far gone. They are tall trees when fully grown and possibly having their roots restricted in pots has sapped the soil of all nutrients which is why they are suffering. Conifers in general are hungry and thirsty and like to have a good root spread. Once conifers start to die it's unlikely they'll recover.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
      Ratings:
      +1,217
      Thank you, Sheal for your reply. I thought they would be ok in pots but I've still got much to learn. It's a shame and I hate killing plants. Will have a rethink on what to put there instead.
      All the best,
      Russ.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Sorry about your conifers @Rustler

I have a Thuja Occidentalis "Yellow Ribbon" in a large container and it doesn't seem to mind those conditions at all. Perhaps that might be something you could consider as a replacement?

Actually, last year I cut off a couple of branches which were low down. Instead of throwing them away I just stuck them in a pot with some soil in it and, much to my delight, I recently potted on 4 well rooted pieces into their own pot! At least now, if something should happen to the original plant I have some back ups.

• Like Like x 1
        • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
          Ratings:
          +1,217
          That sounds a good idea, M. Thanks for your input.

• Friendly Friendly x 1