poorly wild cherry tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Sezzle, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Sezzle

Sezzle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this wild cherry last year. It hasn't exactly thrived and it now has damaged bark and curly leaves.
    (They look a bit icky close up, sorry!)
    Is it bacterial canker? If so, what should I do with it? I heard you should cut it back but that will only leave one small branch... And is it likely to spread to other trees?
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Sezzle.

Do you have any larger resolution pics? Especially the first one. To me the first image does look like a canker of sort, possibly invading through a badly made pruning cut. Unfortunately with bacterial canker of Prunus species there is no remedy available. Cutting away any damaged wood is not needed as the damage is already done and the infection will not spread after the first year. As for your other trees? Well the bacteria that causes canker will live quite happily on the leaves of trees until it finds an opening into the tree xylem and phloem. Industrial orchards use chemicals to try and kill the bacteria but for you this would not be an option. Your trees may very well be carrying the bacteria already. All you can do is ensure your trees do not get damaged allowing the bacteria to enter.

3. Sezzle

Sezzle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm afraid the outlook doesn't look good for your tree, but that's not to say it will definitely die, it could still live for a long time yet - it may just look a little scabby. As I said the infection shouldn't spread much further after the first year, but what may happen is secondary bacterial/viral/insect infections gaining access into the tree throught the canker wounds.