Possibly a herb of some type?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by misterQ, Sep 26, 2017.

1. misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,770
    About six months ago, I was asked by a local resident to propagate a plant from a cutting that they had been using as a herb in their Middle Eastern cuisine.

I was not told what it was as they did not know the English name for it - only that it was used in tea infusions and to flavour meat.

Anyway, it took about four months for the cutting to take root and stabilise its growth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leaves are furry to the touch which is similar to sage and lavendar.

It has a mild aniseed/curry smell.

Any ideas of what it could be?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,963
    Hello misterQ :) It looks like Artemisia. I wouldn't describe the aroma as mild, but it's certainly distinctive. In the west, tarragon is used in cuisine, which IIRC is a member of the same family. HTH

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      :yikes:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • noisette47

Ratings:
        +13,963
        ???? @Zigs ......so wormwood is used to make absinthe as well....want to make something of it, big boy?:lunapic 130165696578242 5::whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,770
          You evil, evil woman.

Here I was merrily typing my query expecting that I'd atleast get some small chores done before finally settling down, a nice cup of tea in hand, to check for a reply.

Little did I know that a vegetation vixen would be lurking in readiness to pounce onto innocent men and sending them down to face the dreaded time stealing links of the info arachnid.

So, I saw the reply. Googled Artemisia, read it's wikipedia entry, clicked onto pictures depicting Artemisia of all kinds, blinked...

And, the next thing I knew, my tongue had turned furry and I had grown a full beard where only a slight five o'clock shadow existed there just moments ago. Like that, I was robbed of six whole days.

I agree - it is Artemisia. I am tending towards Artemisia arborescens as it seems to coincide with the properties mentioned above.

Evil vegetation vixen, you want me to say thanks and that I am very grateful for your help, don't you?

Well, I won't.

Take a raspberry instead.

• Funny Funny x 2
          • noisette47

Ratings:
            +13,963
            :lunapic 130165696578242 5:Ohhhh..I've never been called a vegetation vixen before! Or evil, for that matter. Not to my face, anyway! Pouncing on innocent men; now, that's more like it :yes:
            Thing is.....you have to get in quick on here because there are a lot of very knowledgeable people about :th scifD36: I would have had it down as A. Powis Castle but don't know whether that has reached the Middle East.
            As for a nice cup of tea, oh deary, deary me! Dreadful stuff..have you seen what it does to the inside of a teapot?:thud:

• Funny Funny x 1