POST PROCESSING SOFTWARE

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    When I bought my new camera it came bundled with the Silkypix V.4 software for dealing with RAW conversion. However, on trying it out it just wouldn't last two minutes before crashing and becoming a total waste of time because of it. I tried downloading the next versions and had the same result, crash after crash. But today I received an e-mail from Silkypix saying there was yet another version out and so I've downloaded it............and no crashes. It actually stays stable and usable. So if anyone out there is trying to use Silkpix, and having the same problems I was, try downloading the very latest V.4.70.0. and see if that cures the problems.
    I have already bought CS6, at a greatly discounted price, and am still being tutored by friends on how to get the best out of it [slow, long journey:heehee:] . But I still believe that the less processing that is done the more it makes me work to get a decent shot in the first place. Anyway now my Sister, knowing my photo interests, and not knowing what I've actually got in software, has just bought me Lightroom 4 for Christmas. I couldn't exactly say "I've already got a much more comprehensive program, Sis, so I don't need it", as I know she was really pleased thinking she'd actually got me something that would be useful to me instead of a pair of socks.
    So now I'm swimming in software when back in August I had none.:gaah:

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,968
      You are lucky getting Ligthroom Armandii, it's a great product and I'm sure will compliment your RAW convertor and CS6. Ligthroom is really for managing and organising your photo library - it will do a little post-processing but anything serious just open with CS6 instead.

I am a novice user but already hooked on all the features in Lightroom. It's just what I need to catalogue all my photos going back 10 years. Also I'm getting our old family albums digitised, I reckon on having about 30,000 images eventually. At the moment I use file naming conventions to organise them, but that system is creaking under the strain. My winter project is properly label and tag them, I can't imagine how I would do it without Lightroom.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Hi jWK, to be honest I've not really looked at it yet! I've spent most of the time today in using Silkypix and waiting for it to crash, which it hasn't. So I'll probably spend the weekend having a play with Lightroom and see what it does that CS6 doesn't. 30,000 images sounds like a life times work to me:heehee: I know what you mean though about wanting to label and tag them, I want to do the same but just haven't had the time or enough inclination.......it's a must do job though.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        I thank you for your heads up Armandii, though the only thing I could find was the option to upgrade for cash, the silky pix I downloaded was 30day trial then pay
        or take the PRO version and pay before download
        Mine silky pix is 3.2.9.0 provided in May 2012. it does not offer an upgrade just go to web site,Mine also does not support 64bit it crashes

Jack McH

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Sorry to hear that Jack, although I thought the original licence key covered all upgrades. I do have a 64 bit computer on which V.4 still crashed on until I downloaded this version.

This is the download site I was referred to for the new version.

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/download.html

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        Lightroom 4's virtual galleries are a great boon for colecting together images of a type, without rearanging your actual photo folders, the develop module utilises the same RAW engine as PSCS6 uses and to me the map module will be very useful for my new project next year.

Great to here your silky pix works now Armandii, you'll have to do some comparisons to see which RAW converter you like best now.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          I'll have a good snoot around Lightroom 4 tomorrow [hopefully], if I don't get any interruptions. I've been playing around with CS6 today and then this evening with Silkypix which definitely doesn't have the refinements of CS6. At least Silkypix isn't making me go :gaah: any more. I think it will be some time before I get the opportuniy to do a real comparison what with one thing and another but it is interesting to see the differences.:snork:

• kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
          +387
          A more expensive route - but probably worth it in the long run - is Capture One Pro.
          I have tried most converters over the years - but inevitably I return to C1.
          You can get trial version here:
          http://www.phaseone.com/PhaseOne/Downloads/Capture-One-7.aspx

On wading into Photoshop - I can imagine it as being etremely daunting to the newcomer. My recommendation is to go with the video tutorial (ie Lynda.com) rather than trying to learn from a manual.

Kevin

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Hi Kevin, luckily with regard to CS6 I'm being tutored by friends who are Creative Directors at McCann's which is a global Advertising Agency. I worked there for some years and have been able to keep contact with them. I think they'll educate me on Lightroom 4 as well:snork: