Potato peelings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lintama, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Lintama

Lintama Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard once that Potato peelings shouldn't go on the compost heap as it made it too acidic. Does anybody else have that opinion and what is wrong with acidic compost anyway?

2. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    funny you said that as when i got my 1st composter it did say no potato peelings however i gave that a dame good ignoring if it came from the ground it cant be bad to go back in the ground i think the reason behind it is so as you dont put cooked peelings in perhaps the makers of the bins think we are stupid it was the same with the wheely bins when they came in force they had 2" letters saying NO HOT ASHES. would that be because hot ashes would melt the plastic bin????

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've been putting in peelings for years and we also put in cooked vegetable s****s. We make smashing compost! Though to be strictly honest I should say the worms make it for us :D

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hello Dave this is our first time composting be a year in June.

We have emptied and turned once.

Now can start to smell a compost smell although does not look like compost.

How often do we have to turn it?

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Oh a difficult question. The answer is full if 'ifs' and 'buts' and 'it all depends..'
    Turning once will probably do if you are prepared to wait 2 years for mature compost (which doesn't smell niffy).
    Here's what I do. Others may employ other methods, but this works for me.
    My main heap is a two compartment enclosure. I build a well layered heap in one half over the course of a year and in late autumn turn it over into the other half where it lies until the following autumn when I empty it and use it on the garden.
    I keep the working heap covered to prevent it getting too wet and to encourage worms to work near the surface. If it starts to look too dry in a hot summer I'll water it.
    The second year heap is also kept covered, but last year I uncovered it for a few months because I sowed some early potatos in it. Had a superb crop off them too!! Keeping the heaps slightly on the dry side also makes them a lot easier on the back when emptying.
    In order to provide a steady supply of 'brown' material to mix into the heap I shred and bag woody cuttings and leaves and have a big plastic bin in which I store any surplus cardboard that is too much for the two worm bins we also have.

Sorry long rambly reply. I hope it helps a bit.