potato question...

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by kerryshome, Jul 24, 2010.

1. kerryshome

kerryshome Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

the other day when I was at the allotment I noticed something resembling a tomato growing from one of the flowers on a potato plant.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? I've never seen it before....

Thanks
    Kerry

2. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have seen these before but not sure exactly what they sre. The tomato and potato though are related I think. Someone on here will let us know more precisely though.
    John

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes the tomato and potato are the same 'family'. The tomato-like fruit that grow on potatoes contain their seed, don't try eating potato 'fruit' they are poisonous. Some people pick them off to encourage the plant to put more energy into the developing tubers underground.

Sometimes potato plants flower some years they dont, if they flower they may 'set' and you get these 'fruit'. Thats why you maybe haven't noticed them before. All my potatoes flowered this year but I have no 'fruit'. :thumb:

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm with JWK. Sometimes potatoes produce those potato tomatoes. DON'T EAT THEM. THEY ARE HIGHLY POISONOUS. But it is normal for the potato plants to produce them.
    Sometimes potatoes flower and sometimes they don't.
    My Pink Fir Apples are covered in flowers just now. I can't wait for them to be over so that I can eat them.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Pink Fir Apples are my favourite tasting potato Alice, but what a pain trying to peel them!

6. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone here tried growing potatos from the seeds themselves? Be interesting to find out.
    John

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not advisable, unless you have a laboratory. The seeds could have crossed with any other local spud, creating a new variety. You need to test the tubers for solanine. A variety slipped through a few years ago, the tubers were not green but still had a high solanine content. It was spotted by a scientist who recognised the symptoms as he sat in the loo clutching his belly.

8. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers Ziggy. I am a chemist of a sought. Just going to google solanine.
    John

9. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine
    Yep, not so plesant, to say the least!
    John

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes it is possible to grow potato plants from the seed. That is how the plant breeders create new varieties. I would never recommend a 'normal' gardener trying this, as you end up with a very unpredictable and poor batch of spuds - the likelihood of you getting a better variety is almost nil. It's just not worth the effort unless you enjoy experimenting of course :thumb:

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at that meself John,

"Solanine poisoning is primarily displayed by gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, headache and dizziness. Hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils and hypothermia have been reported in more severe cases."

Another one for Sussex gardener, don't get all of those symptoms even with my homebrew :usr:

12. craigb

craigb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Strangely enough, I was going to ask the same question. I dont normally grow a lot of spuds but I thought I'd give them a good try this year. All the flowers have died off, leaving the green balls you describe above. I've never seen it before either, so perhaps the weather conditions have been right for the plants to set (I've noticed a lot of bees around my runners this year, so maybe the've been visiting the spuds too).

Just as an added question, I'll be storing them for the first time this year and bought some hession sacks in preparation. Any advice how to prepare them for storing ?

Thanks

Craig

13. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Craig, for best storage you need a maincrop potato. You need to cut off the tops (or let them die off naturally) 2 weeks before lifting them. This makes the tubers' skins harden. It's simply a case of making sure they are reasonably dry when you put them into the bags and store the bags in a cool dry dark shed/garage. Don't try storing any tubers that are damaged in any way. If you want to keep them over winter they need to be in a frost free place (but not warm).

14. craigb

craigb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Would it be advisable to cut the tops off now ? (I've taken the green balls off and some of the lower leaves have gone yellow and are dying off), or leave them for a nother couple of weeks ?

Thanks

Craig

15. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It depends what variety but the longer you leave them the bigger the tubers will get - I'd say you could leave them for another couple of weeks yet to maximise growth.