Potatoes in a cold greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by robbieg, Mar 16, 2009.

1. robbieg

robbieg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to grow some potatoes in containers this year rather than outside in the ground. I'm happy with the process and I have planted some 3 x 2nd earlies in big plastic containers with drain holes etc and am wondering if I can keep them inside a cold greenhouse?
    The greenhouse isn't being used much this month and there will be ground space for quite a while until the foliage on other plants develops.

It is OK to grow potatoes in a cold greenhouse?
    What are the problems - water obviously, anything else?
    Should I move them outside at any particular time?

Many thanks
    RobbieG

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi RobbieG, the cold greenhouse will be perfect to start off your spuds - mine are 4'' tall already. Just keep them watered when the foliage begins to show through, give them a good soaking when the surface of the compost dries a bit, so every few days rather than small amounts daily.

I will move them outside once frosts have gone, usually around mid April because I need the greenhouse by then for my toms & peppers. I can always throw some fleece over them if there are any late frosts after that.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I will move them outside once frosts have gone, usually around mid April because I need the greenhouse by then for my toms & peppers"

I expect the Potato plants will be happier outside too, once the Summer gets here??

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Too right Kristen, I imagine the greenhouse will be too hot for them in summer . It's just that, for me, mid-April is when they have to go out. :)

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Late March for first Earlies, Second earlies should be in by mid April. Dunno about Main crop, I don't bother with them! (And the rest are from memory, so add any appropriate scepticism please!!)

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I had a look at the Marshalls & Unwins Gro-Sacks. Both £9.95 for 3 bags (or a bit more if you want them with seed potatoes too). [Although I note that Marshalls is £1 cheaper for Post & Packing]

The kits seem to come with 3 bags and 15 seed potatoes, so 5 per bag - seems to be quite dense planting ?

7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I have the marshalls ones with spuds and was thinking that too Kristen but am going to do as they say and will let you know how it works out. :)

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Just read another thread where Capney was saying he thought it was too many ... I've succumbed and bought 3 bags and 5 x 3 different First Early spuds from Marshalls. Mouth is watering already ... :)

9. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Hi guys.
    General opinion seems to be the more you plant in any container the smaller the final potatoes will be. That is why I am going for four this year instead of five I used last year in the big black bin.
    One thing I did last year was to water the bin every day, even if it rained. If I recall correctly between 6 and 9 ltrs every morning. That amount seemed to be just enough for water to flow from the drainage holes in the bottom of the bin.
    This is the first year I am trying the Mashalls bags and the supplied potatoes. I think I am only going to use 2 tubers in each of the bags...
    (still awaiting delivery)
    If you would like to see the results from my first attempt last year to grow pots in a bin please go to GC video post below.
    It shows the results of five potatoes ( not seed ) that I bought local for 30p or so and where so far gone they where no good for eating.
    Not a fantastic return but the taste was so:gnthb:

Would be good if we can compare progree as we get into the growing season.
    But, like everyone else, just cant wait to taste those first spuds.
    :gnthb:

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Just like me ... getting ready to tip it onto the terrace and then a little voice from the background "Have you got anything to tip it onto?" ... that'll be a "No" then, eh? :D

How much did you earth them up do you reckon? I presume you can kinda "keep going" in that regard?

I reckon that was an excellent result. Thanks for sharing.

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    :lollol:The little voice is indeed HID
    Earthed up after about every three inches of growth until we reach the top of the bin.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Earthed up after about every three inches of growth until we reach the top of the bin."

Sorry to be a pain, but how full / empty was the bin to start with? I mean, how much was the total earthing up depth - the amount I would need to leave "free" when I plant in my bin to allow for earthing up. I image, up to a point, one can "force" potatoes in this way?

13. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Ok.
    This year I have filled my large black plastic bin to about one third full before planting four tubers.
    I shall start earthing up when they are about 3" so that just a little of the shoot is still showing. Then carry one in that way, earthing up until the bin is full.
    In the sacks I am going for about 4" full before planting just two tubers and earthing up as above.
    First time I have used sacks so will be interesting as the season goes on.
    robert

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I wonder if the Bin excludes light enough to make the spuds "stretch" as they grow, whereas the bag presumably flops down a bit and lets more light in? But I've no idea which is better ...

Mind you, I would have been well pleased with the crop you got!

15. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I got Miricale grow potato sacks this afternoon and got 50p off each and it ssays to put 5seed tatties in them.

I got Edzel Blue and Catriona .

So do I put them on a seed tray first to chit them and can they stay first in an unheated greenhouse.