Potatoes in my border

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Little Green, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Little Green

Little Green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone :)

Over the last few weeks it's become apparent that I have some potatoes growing in my border. I can only assume that the previous tenant may have chucked a load of old potatoes out at some time and they are now growing.

Will these be ok to eat? How can you tell?

I am growing my own potatoes at the moment in a couple of bags on the patio and they seem to be doing well. It would be interesting to compare mine with these "wild" ones but I don't want to risk eating them if they could be potentially be harmful.

Thanks

Little Green :spinning:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Little Green,

They won't hurt you unless they have grown from a potato apple seed, which is unlikely.

problem is, they might be carrying blight as they've not been grown from certified "seed" potatoes (not true seeds, but clones raised under the best possible conditions)

I'd have them out as earlies, before the late season blight comes.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,991
      I have tried leaving these 'volunteer' potatoes to grow in the past and they never come to much. It's possible they have grown from potato peelings chucked on the border or in the compost heap as well as from missed potatoes grown in previous years.

Having had blight once in my garden I never risk keeping 'volunteers' and yank them out as soon as they appear just in case they are carrying the disease. :dbgrtmb:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      What's one of those Ziggy? Potato apple seed I mean.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      The flowers produce what looks like a tomato, but poisonous Dave.

It'll have viable seeds in it but they could have crossed with any other variety in the neighbourhood so could (and probably will) produce a new variety.

All our regular varieties are clones from the same plant, which means every single King Edward is the same plant.

When new varieties are grown from seed crosses, they have to be tested for Solanine content, poisoning from that usually just puts you on the loo, but could be fatal.

A variety slipped thru the tests a few years back, fortunately it was eaten by someone who recognised the symptoms of Solanine poisoning & reported it.

• Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        That's good info Ziggy, thanks for that. Its particularly useful for me because I know the green apple/tomato poisonous things you speak of, and have often considered trying to grow them on, figuring it would be a cheap way to produce blight free seedies.

I just didn't know what they were called, and I certainly didn't know there was a real (or any) risk associated with the potatoes they might produce.

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I'm glad you found that of use Dave:dbgrtmb:

Always good to highlight Potato Apples at this time of year, before someone tries to make green potato chutney out of them.

Just been reading that we can tolerate a certain amount of Solanine, but when the spuds are noticeably bitter then we've already reached a level that is toxic:OUCH:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,087
          Well my guess is they are left overs from an earlier crop.
          Could be peelings from a compost heap.
          Probably wont actually come to much, mine never do, so I try to get them out, mini spud and all.
          I'm not convinced they will carry blight, that will already be lingering in the soil if its happened before.

I think the certified seed potato "thing" is more about stopping virus being transferred, but I could be wrong.:)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Partly right there pete. The "seed" spuds are grown in windier places where virus carrying aphids are less likely to take hold.

But the blight, whilst possibly in the soil already, if left to survive on tubers or foliage over winter hatches out into something far more devastating.

I mean, the facehugging thing on Alien was pretty bad when it kissed John Hurt, but that was nothing compared to the next morning at breakfast.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          P.S.

Kristen & John will explain it better without using analogies to si-fi.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,991
          I think you are doing a very good job there Ziggy :loll:

• Like Like x 1
          • Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
            +400
            I had a potato growing in my border last year, it was a missed potato and in amongst the compost i had chucked onto the borders. I pulled it out and due to the little potato on the end, decided to stick it in a big pot, and it grew and it grew and it grew. I got 20 yummy potatoes from that :yess:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Nice one Pixie:thumbsup:

Found the piece I was thinking of,

Late Blight Disease on Home Garden Tomatoes

Its to do with Zoospores overwintering on un frozen plant debris and forming much more resistant Oospores which have the potential to reproduce and make more virulent strains of the blight.

Very much like MRSA is resistant to antibiotics, imagine a fungicide resistant Potato Blight:OUCH::thud: