Potatoes in Sacks

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David G, Mar 20, 2011.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Will the potatoes grow faster if I plant them in sacks now or should I leave them chitting in the garage, they have very small sprouts at the moment about 1/8 of am inch

They will be put in the greenhouse for the fist few weeks after planting

Thanks

Dave

2. spiderg

spiderg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If they're earlies, get them in now.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Put my international kidneys in sacks yesterday, have them against a south facing fence with glass paynes over them.

My Arran Pilots have been in the ground for about a month now and are showing top growth. Got frost protection over the trenches.

4. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the info, both of you, I will put them in tomorrow.

Been up the allotment and dug out the worst of the weeds and sowed some spring onions. Thinking about planting main crop King Edwards next week, trouble is the allotment is a mile away and the close the gates at 4pm I finish work at 5pm.

Drinking wine now day over roast dinner in 30 mins all vegetables from the allotment apart from carrots.

Dave

5. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds good to me... :thumbsup:

I put my earlies in 'sacks' about a week or two ago, and they are just popping out the top of the compost, so Im guessing its earthing up time. They are in my greenhouse, and I cram an old piece of horti fleece on the top when frost is forecast (probably not doing anything useful though :DOH: )

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Got back to find i'd not put protections back on the Arran Pilots :DOH: Frost has got the tips. Bother:DOH:

Nice one with the home grown roast David:dbgrtmb: