potatoes in sacks

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by cymro, Feb 7, 2010.

1. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    ive decided togive potatoes a go in a potato sach, ive chosen "rocket" a first early, anyone got any tips/advice about planting, aftercare etc, is it possible to get a good crop this way
    thanks arwyn

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yep good yield is perfectly possible in sacks! Half fill the sacks with a mix of topsoil (or john innes 3) and compost put in the spuds (id say three or four for a 75 litre sack) add another six inches of the mix/topsil keeep watered as the shhots grow keeep topping up with the mix till the bag is full.

You may want to chit the spuds first, thats put them a cool light spot in some seed trays or egg boxes for six weeks, this lets little shoots form to give them a head start. Its not essential especially if your sacks are going in a greenhouse.

3. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When we took over our allotment last year, there were many different potatoes already growing - so we got lots there. But, we also had already started several sacks here at home - and I'm not going to bother with the ground again - much less work in the harvesting of them with the sacks, and we got loads and loads!

4. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    is it safe to chit the pots now in a cold greenhouse

5. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no not this week forcast is potentially very cold the week and perhaps next ( i hope not i loved the snow but im itching for spring now).. Hang on see what next couple of weeks bring/

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I tried sacks last year for the first time - I put two chitted potatoes in one 75l sack and that was too many - I won't try again as the yield was not as good compared to the large container I used alongside (it was an old recycling plastic box which I'm going to use again this year). You should get earlier spuds this way - start chitting your seed spuds as theplantman says - and I agree with him about chitting in the greenhouse - it's too early - you must avoid the frost getting to them.

7. Tracey in Essex

Tracey in Essex Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    My mum used a worn out large 'ikea' type shopping bag (the huge blue ones that make excellent car boot liners or garden tidy bags) last year and got a good crop. Must say, having a small veggie area, the lure of saving 'space' has tempted me before

8. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another way that has worked well for us in the past is old stacked tires - they keep the warmth in tremendously and you simply remove the tires one at a time to get to your potatoes :)

9. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

I like it ....you could add tire or tires as part of the earthing up process