Potatoes near greenhouse, increased chance of tomato blight?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Freedom_Spark, May 23, 2010.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, sadly last year my first attempt at growing tomatoes in the greenhouse was ruined by blight. I know it's quite unlucky to get it indoors so I blamed the potatoes in the veg garden next to the greenhouse, personally I'm not a huge fan of potatoes so I planned to leave them out of the garden this year, but I've just got back from a busy period at uni & work today & it seems my dad decided that he would be helpful & get some potatoes in :doh:My question is, does the close proximity of the potatoes increase the risk of blight in indoor tomatoes?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I would guess it increases the chances slightly, but I would not worry about it. I've got away with it for years, only had blight once in the greenhouse and that same year my neighbour's tomato plants were not affected even though they were outside and only 10 yards from my infected plants. Just keep a close eye on both crops later in the season when blight is forecast.