Potatoes with no greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Louiseness, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys and girls,

Just looking for some advice for growing potatoes with no greenhouse.

I bought some seed potatoes (Maris Peer) that werre labelled as 'autumn potatoes', saying I could plant them July and August - and I have :D

The first three went into a bag on my decking on the 1st of August and have come up and are growing well as far as I can tell. I just put the second lot into a bag yesterday.

Now I know I have to protect the plants from the frost if the potatoes haven't been harvested by then - but how with no greenhouse?

Would a cloche or some sort of other cover work? I could bring them inside but I can't see them getting much light - plus they'd have to go in my spare room and I'm not sure about giant bags of compost and spuds cluttering up the place :D

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Wrap them in horticultural fleece when frost is predicted, or when night time temps drop. You won't be able to keep a heavy frost off them but you should be able to prolong their growing season a couple more weeks.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think one of the main reasons for 'earthing up' is to offer some protection from frost. Not sure if it is effective against prolonged frosts though.

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    You 'earth up' potatoes so that the underground stems are forced to get longer and thus produce more potatoes and/or to stop the tubers poking through the surface, going green (when exposed to the light) and thus becoming poisonous.

You could, as JWK suggests put some horticultural fleece over them, perhaps some bubble wrap around the bags or even - as my Dad once did - wrap an old blanket round the bags, without central heating (at the time) my Mother reckoned 'those ruddy potatoes' were warmer than we were!!

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    That's what I've always been led to believe, but a few times I've failed to earth them up, and still got about the same yield.

6. Fidgetsmum

Ratings:
    +865
    Me too!

7. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone! I've been earthing them up as they come through anyway so I'll carry on doing that, can't hurt :)

I wondered if a blanket would work! So I'll give that and the fleece idea a go too. They're in a walled garden so I can put them in a corner close to the house too, hopefully keep them a big snugger! I won't be heartbroken if they don't last past the frosts but at least now I have a few tips to try :D

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    A blanket will work, just that they get a bit heavy especially in the rain and can do more harm than good by crushing the plants, so it will need supporting to keep it in place. Maybe use the blanket around the pot to keep the roots warm and fleece over the top of the plant.

9. Fidgetsmum

Ratings:
    +865
    Of course, one thing we haven't mentioned yet - if (or when) they're ready to harvest - assuming it's before a really heavy frost - you can always lift and store them.

10. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, I was hoping this would be the case, especially with the ones planted really early on in August, but I was just curious as to what to do if the later batches were still a bit young when it got cold. Oh well, I guess they're new potatoes anyway, I don't mind eating tiny little potatoes :D