Potatoes

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Shedman, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Shedman

Shedman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all you experts out there
    I have been growing my own potatoes for some time now but the tops always grow to 2to 3feet high.I still have a good crop of potatoes but why so much foliage
    I have also sown a row of dwarf peas and they are now over 3 feet high. I have not over fertilised but everything I plant seems to rocket skyward

2. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Shedman and welcome.
    I cannot understand why no-one has replied to you. Perhaps you should go to Editble Page and put your question there.

Bonne chance.

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Shedman, welcome aboard.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
  5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I wouldn't worry about the height of the plants unless they look very leggy.
    Is your veg. plot at all shaded? I am using a small bit of my elderly neighbours' for growing potatoes, peas, beans and tomatoes, all in the shade of a very large overgrown Weigela. They are a bit tall but producing ok.

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Shedman and a warm welcome from me too.

Our few potatoes, rogues from last year, are a good one meter tall, but look otherwise fine and are flowering nicely. It is not shady there as Liz thought might be the case, but very crowded. We didn't expect potatoes to appear as we planted none this year. My sugar peas sound like yours too but produced almost next to nothing.

Still, as long as you are getting a good crop, I guess it is fine.