Potatos did grow replant our something new

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Bear1, May 2, 2024.

1. Bear1

Bear1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    So I got my hands in soil the other day to check potatos i planted a month ago the navan potatos lovely healthy sprouts just under soils surface, rooster potatos no growth and looks like slugs etc have been eatting them, so the patch withe the rooster potatos is roughly 2 by 3 ish meters do I replant potatos on the plot different varity our should I plant something else , I have just sown courgettes in pots hopefully get 7 plants our I have sown dahlia seeds will I turn it in to a dahlia bed , it's a slightly windy spot but gets sun all day nothing shadows it, thanks in advance

2. Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
    +110
    Here are some free full stops: .......

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,981
    I'd give the spuds a bit longer, were the Roosters seed potatoes? or did you use supermarket ones?

4. Bear1

Bear1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    They were a local farmers potatos that's only sold in small shops round here, previous year I grew roosters same way and they grew like mad so though maybe make rooster the exception and not get seed potato, starting to think potatos might have been sprayed to not bud

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,981
      Might be best to give up on them and plant some more, its still not too late.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,583
        The use of CIPC sprays to prevent potatoes from sprouting was banned in in the EU and the UK in 2020.

if your Roosters weren’t chitted before planting I imagine they’ll be a little delayed starting into growth … the soil has only just started warming up this year.

I presume you’re growing them as maincrop potatoes so there’s plenty of time for them to grow before you need to harvest and store them.

Last edited: May 3, 2024