Potential new vegetable plot at parents in law's

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sussexgardener, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Venturing into 'virgin' territory here...my edible gardening experience has previously been limited to fruit bushes and herbs.

I have the potential opportunity to start a vegetable plot at my parent in law's place. They are getting old and never use their garden, which is a shame as it has soil to die for (after working with clay here, any soil is to die for!), is well situated and gets a good amount of sunshine. The spot I had planned on is where there used to be a greenhouse and the soil is fantastic after years of fertilising and nurturing.

However, there is a snag. Their place is in Chichester, we are in Horsham, a distance of 35 miles away. We go to visit at least once a month, more if the weather is decent and we can ride down on the motorbikes. So...I would need some edible crops that don't require lots of TLC and work put into them, once the intial planting has been done.

I was thinking of rhubarb - MIL loves it, as do we. So, what else? Any ideas?

2. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    At least Garlic, onions, potatos.

3. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    would they be up to watering the plot for you? hosepipe and a wander round would be enough - not too physical?

that would make your veg choice much bigger

potatoes
    broad beans - you would need to get a wriggle with them
    onion
    garlic
    fruit bushes

other crops would need the regular watering during the long hot summer (wish)

loopy

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    They might water them, but FIL has to go bed early after trying to mow even half their lawn, so I'm not banking on it!

So, drought resistant is needed as well! Possibly not feasible then?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,986
    Garlic, spuds, leeks & onions don't need much attention after you plant them and you can harvest them when you like. Strawberries are easy but you would have to get your visits timed to get them as they ripen.

6. spes123

spes123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have one guy on our allotment site who turns up every two months and does a days work. All he grows is Onions, Garlic and Spuds. And he tends to do better with them than some of those who are on their plot daily!