Potting up Iris - pot too small?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by latimer, Jun 2, 2024.

1. latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +207
    Hi all

As per the title, should these be in a larger pot or will they be ok? They’ll be planted out eventually

Thanks

IMG_0614.jpeg

2. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,584
    When you say ‘eventually’ do you mean this season? If so it’ll be gone. If not until this time next year then I’d give them a bit bigger pot.

3. latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +207
    Thanks @Dovefromabove

I did mean to plant them out this year if possible, what did you mean by gone? Eaten? If so, I assume you are suggesting the best course of action is to pot them up in something bigger and leave them to next year to plant out?

4. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,584
    Sorry … I typed it’ll be fine but for some reason the autocorrect changed it to ‘gone’ … there is no rhyme no reason to it :wallbanging:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +5,144
      That pot will be fine to let it establish and get the roots settled for this year.
      I've also just done some recently, although some plants were bigger than others, so it's just a case of suiting the size of the bare root to the pot itself. :smile:

I've also had to do some of them in 'moats' as the slugs have been at those as well as th eones I planted last year....:mad:

• latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
      +207
      Thanks @Dovefromabove and @fairygirl

I may have to create an island in the middle of my pond for the things the slugs are managing to reach this year!

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +5,144
      I've already said elsewhere that I'd need something the size of swimming pool to sort everything that's been attacked this year @latimer.
      The result of no winter again, and then warm weather far earlier than we'd ever have it normally.

I brought in the 4 little dahlias I've grown from seed late last night after I woke up. They're a good size, were very healthy...but there were 11 slugs and a snail hanging off them and the pots, so that's the foliage damaged on them now. :frown:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Debs64

Debs64 Gardener

Ratings:
        +312
        @fairygirl i will send Graham, my slug destroyer of a tortoise, up to you. He is very fussy though he likes his cucumber peeled and fresh melon regularly. I warn you though it may take him some time to walk up to you

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +5,144
        Cheers @Debs64 . Only problem is - unless he can hitch a lift, I may have popped my clogs by the time he gets here :heehee:

Can't promise him any melon, but I had to buy a full size cucumber the other day, so if he can get here in time - he's welcome to some of it inexchange for slug duties. :)

Meant to ask you @latimer - what variety have you got? The two varieties I got last year - the creamy one [I. sib. Dreaming Yellow] has had all the buds demolished, just below where they were forming, but the other one [I. ensata Kumo-no-obi] has 6 or 7 good buds.

• latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
        +207
        @fairygirl I got Iris ensata 'Cupcake' & Iris ensata 'Tub Tim Grob'

I potted up on Sunday but left them dry incase the advice was to shift them into something much bigger. I gave them a good water this morning, so fingers crossed. Are they a slug target or something else?

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +5,144
        Slugs do like them a lot @latimer so just be prepared!
        The ensatas like moist conditions - they can grow in pond shallows, so make sure they don't dry out. :smile: