Preparing for lawn.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by David Garside, Jan 6, 2019.

1. David Garside

David Garside Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all.
    Thank you for adding me to your forum.
    I've been looking around it for a little while and have taken some very helpful advice from it. I just need a little bit more before I proceed.
    I'm in the process of preparing a piece of ground (5 X 4 mtrs app) to lay a lawn, possibly turf but may go down the seed route.
    It had been left for a few years so was full of weeds, bulbs and shrubs etc ( lots moved to a different part of the garden as I want to be Bee and wildlife friendly) which I have completely dug out over the last week.
    I've removed as many of the weeds and old roots as possible, but I'm afraid they may come up through the grass later on.
    I know I'm going to have to do a lot of ground prep before that, and in the meantime I've laid some garden membrane over the ground hoping it'll kill the roots off.
    Can you recommend a pet and wildlife friendly weed killer that will stop the old roots coming through, and will not damage the new grass when I lay it.
    Thanking you in advance.
    David.

• Like Like x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,371
      You will have to use a lawn weed killer ( not ordinary weedkiller ). lawn weed killers are selective weedkillers without killing the grass.

Weedkillers are herbicides I still don't think know there is any concrete evidence they affect wildlife.
      Pesticides will kill aphids and other garden pests but could potentially kill / harm other insects etc. I rarely ever use pesticides.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hiya David :)
      I would do as much preparation as possible over the winter.....only when the soil is dry and not frosted.
      If you dig it over thoroughly removing as many roots, debris as possible then rake and level it. I would not cover with any membrane...instead I would hoe weeds as you see them....encouraging weeds to appear....treat any perennial weeds that appear in early spring and continue raking and levelling. This raking and levelling cannot be overdone. Aim for seed sowing or laying turf in April.
      I garden organically as much as possible, except for the lawn. I know of no wildlife friendly weedkiller but if applied as directed animal life should not be affected. There are tools available but if you have lots of weeds growing this would be a long chore.
      (Organic lawn fertilisers, for example, seem to simply attract foxes, cats etc. They also smell and contaminate clothing if anyone sits on the lawn !!!??)

• David Garside

David Garside Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      That's brilliant, thank you to you both. I'll try to get the membrane up after work tomorrow, also get the lawn weed killer. I'll check what it says on the bottle regarding wildlife/pets etc.
      Plenty to do then....much appreciate the help.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety.
      Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects and it’s the leaching into the water system that’s a problem or a spill.
      Most will carry warnings of May be corrosive to metals. Harmful if swallowed. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. Causes skin irritation. Causes serious eye damage. Causes serious eye irritation.
      If ever you need the information you can go straight to the manufacture or view on website in many cases.

• Like Like x 1