Preparing Ground for fruit

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by prepareathome, Oct 5, 2011.

1. prepareathome

prepareathome Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Next month I am taking delivery of the following

1 x Blackberry
    2 x Raspberry
    2 x Redcurrant
    2 x Blackcurrant
    1 x Gooseberry
    1 x Tayberry
    12 x Strawberry
    2 x Rhubarb plants

Is there any way i should prepare the ground for them.

I will be planting them in my back garden which is rather steep - up till now just grew my vegetables in pots there but moving them to side garden and though put fruit in back.

If it rains a lot the soil washes down - hence using pots, so how deep can I plant these ( the strawberries and Rhubarb will be joining my others in Pots. As trees at the back are held in place by their roots I am hoping once these fruits have rooted into ground they should be ok, its just this first year I am worried about them.

Another idea I had was to remove completely the bottoms from some large pots and place them around the fruits, with the pots going into the ground, to stop any soil slippage them then can be removed when fruits are established.

As I encourage birds in back I have already bought 2 fruit cages and will put them up before I plant so I ensure the plants will fit in them - company I bought both the fruits and cages from ( Rockergardens.co.uk) told me I would need three cages so will order 3rd one this week.

Is there anything special I should add to the soil - up till now I have always just grown in organic compost and then added organic feed throughout growing season.

The soil is hard to describe not clay yet not sandy, something in between, makes wonderful mud :loll:when it rains heavily.

The back garden faces east but there are trees and then houses in that direction, so main light comes from the south, but only for a short time while sun comes round from front of house in east, and goes across side garden in south before it is hidden behind house round the corner in south. The garden does get light but sun only for about 5 hrs in summer. The area where I plan to put the fruit is the part that gets the most sun, apart from patio - unfortunately its only small so cannot have many plants on there, this year I did manage to grow some pumpkins on it without greenhouse as when its hot that area is a suntrap ( had temps of up to 110 there this year. My back garden is shaped like a cheese triangle, just a bit broader at the tip, but as trees abound up at that end I just use that area for storage, also its the highest part - if I stand at my back door the ground at back is above my head.

For all that it is steep its still lower than surrounding gardens and because of that so far even the worst storms pass over it - usually just feel a nice breeze while trees above me are almost bending double :dbgrtmb:

Managed to grow vegetables, apples and some fruits ( rhubard, strawberries) in pots in there.

Debbie