preparing soil for wild flower garden..

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Matthew Moore, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Matthew Moore

Matthew Moore Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am new to the forum, looks great, :)

I am newbie gardener... and have started a little project to establish a small patch of wild flower garden...

I am looking for a little advice... I have dug out all the top soil.. (see my blog here to see what I have done) http://www.tinywildgarden.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/digging-out-top-soil_6.html

Seems too deep to till and plant the seeds at that level.. so was planning to fill it back in with some less fertile sub soil from another area of the garden...

The sub soil is clayey.. (i live in the leicestershire/warwickshire border)

would it actually be best to fill it in with something else, or a mixture of stuff, or part rubble or something?

I would rather keep it as a local soil, and get seeds designed for the local soil type, just thought maybe there might be some tips or ideas as something to mix with it...

any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Matthew:sign0016:

Looks like you've pretty much got it covered in your blog:dbgrtmb:

Some grit would probably be a good thing to help with the drainage on a clay soil, you'll probably find there will be some long dormant seeds already there, poppies can stay dormant for 50 years or more till the soil is disturbed.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

• Like Like x 2
      • Matthew Moore

Matthew Moore Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        thanks zigs

I added some grit. :) the soil was quite sticky in places so the grit seemed like a good thing.

Didnt get the space quite full today, i'm gonna add the top layer next weekend.

thanks for the help...

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        The only advice I would add is:-
        If you intend to grow other plants in the same area - Don't.
        Trying to differentiate between the wildflower seeds growing and weeds is a nightmare.
        In the wildflower area just sow and wait. Take what comes. Some will be weeds, others your seedings.
        Don't meddle - make it easy on yourself.
        And goog luck!

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
        +746
        Maybe a "green manure" would help? Temporarily growing something like mustard and then ploughing it back into the soil to increase fertility for your eventual wildflower lawn? I'm not an expert, its just something I have heard about.

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +803
        • Like Like x 2
        • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,946
          I have been mooching around the garden today and where my wildflower garden is it is just covered in grass. I am thinking that this is going to overpower the seeds from last years flowers and they will not grow. Should I dig it all out and back fill with sub soil as in Mathews original post? Or just leave it and see what happens?

Rusty

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,886
          I wouldn't like to advise, Rusty. All I did with my packet of wildflowers last year was to scatter them and hope for the best :redface:

DSCF4002 (768x1024).jpg

• Like Like x 3
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,597
            I'm not going to claim to know better than the many, many people who say low fertility is good for wild flowers, but I'm curious as to why that is?

What springs to mind is the mix usually called things like 'cornfield annuals' or similar, surely the cornfield is quite fertile? Before intensive farming practices, I was taught at school that a farm was typically divided into quarters, with one quarter growing root crops, one growing top crop/cereal, one grazing livestock, and one left fallow. This, I'm told was done in yearly rotation. The reason being to maintain a high level of fertility in the land without expensive (now cheap) additives. I was taught that the wild flowers would thrive in the fallow section. Granted less fertile for that year because it was the last phase of the cycle before the cows were allowed in to graze it (and poo on it, ready for crops the next year), but still very fertile nonetheless.

At least that's my understanding.

I have no doubt there's something I've missed or misunderstood though.

• rustyroots

Ratings:
            +2,946
            I might just give it a bit of a chop and see what happens.

Rusty

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I'd be inclined to disturb a few patches to give the bare ground colonisers like poppies a chance to grow. Then get some Hayrattle on the go as thats a semi parasite on grasses & should reduce its vigour.

• Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              The fallow land would have amost certainly included nitrogen fixing clovers, and bear in mind that most of the soils fertility is held in the plants. Thats the idea of green manures, stops the winter rains washing the nutrient out of the soil.

• Like Like x 1
              • rustyroots

Ratings:
                +2,946
                I've just been out and ripped a load of the grass out. Do I sow hay rattle direct and can I get it from the garden centre?

Rusty

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +123,183
                Purely from experience (and no knowledge) I've found that most of the wild flowers I've had in my garden prefer uncultivated soil but are not keen on grass. I think the grass tends to crowd them out.

So, where I want to encourage more wild flowers I pull out matted grass and moss but don't dig. If you have forget me nots in your wild plants then you will need to pull those as well, and just let the seeds grow, as they can choke almost anything.

If the soil is fertile the wild flower seed mix will still grow OK but weeds may do even better. In a small wild patch it's easy enough to pull out the weeds so you can keep the wild flowers without any trouble. A large wild patch is different because you may not have the time to weed it. Then removing topsoil does help but you have to replace it with something less fertile.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +123,183
                Just to cheat a bit and cheer me up - here are a couple of my wild areas:-

This one has different plants depending on the month. The bee orchids follow these
                324_2407.JPG

Lots of different things pop up here - nothing has been planted by us
                245_4503.JPG

• Like Like x 7