Preperation for next year??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Olivia9801, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Olivia9801

Olivia9801 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Was wondering for some advice as we are very new to self-growing. We have just had our first season with our poly tunnel.

My question relates to preperatory steps for next year concnerning our raised beds.

As we have access to a lot of horse manure/straw, I was thinking of mixing this in with the soil of the raised-beds. Would you recommend this as being one of the best general all rounders as far as fertilising the soil is concerned, or would you recommend another technique for soil replenishment?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Olivia 9801

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Horse manure is good as a soil conditioner, but isn't very high in nutrients and also if you spread it now most of the nutrients will have washed away by next growing season. Another possible disadvantage with horse manure is undigested weed seeds that can sprout in the soil. As a general rule fresh horse manure is best added in layers to a compost heap or left to decompose for a year before spreading.
    Soil conditioning and fertilising are quite different though soil condition does influence the plants abilities to take up nutrients. In a garden you really need to condition AND feed.
    In our garden I use compost to condition the soil (though it does also add some nutrients) and to provide feed I mainly use home grown comfrey fertiliser which I sometimes back up with poultry manure and fish blood and bone.

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Add loads of organic matter now.

Then in spring, add loads of organic matter.

Then during the growing season, keep adding organic matter.

Get your soil right, and you will never need to 'feed' with anything else - it will have structure and nutrient capacity that gardeners would give their right arm for!

Dave's dead right about weeds etc though - whatever you add (straw, compost, manure etc) needs to be well-rotted first.

4. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Just to add - if your raised beds are built on soil, then the worms and other lovely beasties will do their thing, and all you need to do is get it in shape with organic matter.

If they are on concrete or a solid bed (some people do this - it makes me want to weep) then they are effectively big pots / containers and you'll need to feed, fertilise etc, in which case forget the manure and just buy loads of multi-purpose.