Preserving edible flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Goldenlily26, May 5, 2024.

1. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,638
    I picked some primroses this week, brushed them with egg white and buried them in caster sugar to dry. I plan to use them to decorate a cake I will make for my daughters birthday. I have used the method before, it usually takes about a month to dry the flowers completely. I tried a few forget me nots as well. I have no idea if it will work, I am guessing they will fall apart but nothing venture, nothing gained. I have been looking speculatively at ragged robin flowers, wondering if they would dry successfully, they are similar in texture to primroses.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,816
      How about violets? There are some around and they have often been candied in the past

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,638
      Yes! I must look for the pink violet which I treat as a weed, I cannot get rid of it. It seeds everywhere, has no scent and is not a good colour. I might be able to find some purple violets growing in the lane. A good idea.