Preserving this years strawberry plants ready for next year

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jonnygardener, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jonnygardener

Jonnygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Well I think for most of us summer has been n' gone and now its the start of rain and dark evenings, boooo

I was just wondering if anybody could share their experience with preserving strawberries?
    Earlier this year I bought my first crop, 3 different varieties (6 plants of each type) and found the best crops came from the Calypso's, yummmm. Then round about July/August I cut off some of the trailers (can't think of their proper name :scratch:) and planted these straight into the garden soil (and most of them have taken well), about a dozen other trailers i've left on the main plant but rotted them into troughs around the base of the main 3-tier planter, again almost all of these have developed well too.

So, how is it best to preserve the original main plants and the new shoots ready for next year ?
    Inside and dry, outside and covered, outside and exposed ??

I'll be very impressed if I can not only double my crop next year but also have double the number of strawberry plants to do it with too.

Any help, hints or tips are all welcome

Regards
    John :)

2. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I just cut mine back to about 2inches above the crown, they will grow back nicely next year, you can leave them as they are and they will struggle through though. I've had loads of runners (trailers! :D) this year and should have loads of strawbs next year, had too many this year though!! Some people even mow over them, thats how drastic you can get with strawbs!

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just leave them in the ground - they'll catch no harm. I don't remove any leaves until they are dead as I reckon that while still green they are still feeding the root system and helping it develop for next season.
    I used to burn off all the dead and dry leaves in late winter/early spring as I reckoned it helped destroy bugs and viruses, but I can't do that now as the plants are growing through weed (and slug) supressing membrane.

To increase your number of plants - just take a runner and peg it down in a soil filled pot for about 5 weeks. It will send out roots, you then cut the runner from the parent plant and then after about a week simply knock the newly rooted plantlet out of the pot and plant in the ground.
    It's a good idea to remove unwanted runners from plants as soon as they form they take energy away from the main plant.

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Outside is fine, with a covering ( about 2" ) of straw, but beware, they will multiply on open ground.

5. Ginger1880

Ginger1880 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it too late for me to try and pot up some of my runners?

Kx :mswhl:

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I did so at the weekend Ginger and they have their heads up ok:thumb:

7. Ginger1880

Ginger1880 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant!!

I'll get out there tomorrow!!

Kx

8. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I grew my strawberries in a hanging basket, i cut all the runners off as i didnt want anymore this year ,new garden, whats the best way to over winter a basket :cnfs:

9. JB1

JB1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know until this year that Strawberry plants last, i thought that you needed new every year (I've a lot to learn!) My s-i-l kept hers and they have come back bigger and better than last year.

I think she just cuts her's back and left in a sheltered spot.