Pricking Out

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mrs cloudy, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Id appreciate some advice on pricking out. I have germinated some Verbena bonariensis and Papaver ruprifragum in a tray on my windowsill. How big do they have to be before they need pricking out and will i need to keep them on the windowsill in bigger pots. I have a big coldframe but no greenhouse and im not sure how long they will have to stay inside. Im not sure i have enough windowsill space.

Thanks

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cloudy

The usual rule of thumb is to transplant them when they have at least one pair of true leaves, as opposed to cotyledons. Papaver ruprifragrum, along with most poppies resent root disturbance, so it would depend on how crowded they are, and if you are willing to lose some - I would put these out in your coldframe.

I've grown Verbena bonariensis several times from seed - pot on when 2 pairs of true leaves & pinch out when 3. Give them a couple of weeks indoors after potting on then put in your cold frame, After a couple of weeks in there put them in the ground. If your soil is well drained they will get through the winter outside & you won't have to re-sow. Though after a couple of years they start to look a bit bedraggled, (this is why I re-sow!) Nice choice of plants [​IMG]

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Verbena bonariensis has to be one of the best values of all plants, I love them. I grew them from seed two years ago and have seen no loss of quality yet. They also self sow if given half a chance. If I have wanted more I have just split them.

Does continuous splitting keep them young in the same way as raising new from seed?

Two years ago at one point I counted over 30 butterflies on them, with virtually none on all the other butterfly favorites such as sedum. But last year was a bad year for butterflies.

4. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They are a great colour arent they? And they never get blown over which is a huge bonus.

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PeterS
    I think splitting them is a great way of keeping their vigour. The only thing to watch for is any sign of disease (Can be prone to leaf miners & some virus'). New seed will help keep the gene pool diverse, but I wouldn't bother if they look healthy - Lucky you, they're so versatile, & lovely. Cloudy - let us know how you get on with the Papaver ruprifragrum, not grown that variety, but they look fab.