Primulas anyone?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Pea Of Sweetness, May 10, 2006.

1. The Pea Of Sweetness

The Pea Of Sweetness Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you supposed to dead head primulas? the tops of mine have gone all brown and flowers looking a bit tired. What to do ? :confused:

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Depends on how tidy you want to be and if you want them to set seed or not. I leave mine and the primroses and cowslips increase each year through offsets and self sown seeds.

3. The Pea Of Sweetness

The Pea Of Sweetness Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, i'd just like them to flower again? oh, and i do like to be tidy Hornbeam ;)

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are talking about the highly coloured primulas and polyanthus that are used for bedding - I don't think that you will get them to repeat flower. You can try to keep them over winter for next year, but a lot of people scrap them and buy fresh ones each year. The primula family is a large one and there are our native ones and others from the Himalayas and elsewehere that will increase and flower each year.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I find if you deadhead them until they stop producing new buds then they will flower longer and set seed if they're going to on the last lot of flowers. [​IMG]
    The bright coloured ones don't seem to set seed, but I have got quite a few that I have had for several years. They die back to a few leaves and then start growing again for next year.

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The highly coloured commercial primroses and polyanthus make a brave show, but are not really intended to be anything other than temporary bedding.
    The RHS Wisley Handbook says:
    "some people believe that they represent the epitome of the plant breeders' art; others are less complimentary, feeling that the the charm and beauty of the original species and hybrids has been lost in a blizzard of huge garish flowers and coar.se foliage on plants which are considered half-hardy at best."

I have to agree and vote the ordinary wild primrose my favourite flower in or out of the garden. Over the last three years, I have tried and been delighted with two members of the primula family - the Border Auricula and the old fashioned Gold Lace primula that was very popular at the beginning of the 19th century. Both like rich, damp half shade and MUST be divided after flowering. Then you get lots more!
    [​IMG]
    Border Auricula
    [​IMG]
    Gold Lace primula

7. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Hornbeam about the highly coloured varieties although you can get them to repeat flower - just put them out tof the way somewhere until next winter and allow them to rest.
    Have not been too succesful with the Auriculas but they are wonderful - love the pictures.
    Another useful Primula variety is 'Wanda' which can be in a range of purple colours and easily split for next year planting.
    My favourite has to be the 'primrose' the prettiest of spring flowers.