Probem with trees/foundation?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by tac1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. tac1

tac1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good day, I am hoping that someone is able to help with what may be a problem. I am concerned with:
    1. Actual damage that may occur to building and wall.
    2. Consequence of neighbourâ??s trees upon my own insurance policy. I remember that when checking out various companies for buildings insurance, at renewal time, several specifically asked about trees within 40 feet. Although these trees are not in my garden is it likely that an insurance company will negate all/part of subsidence cover if informed â?? or upon claim if not informed?
    My next door neighbour has planted trees directly next to party wall and near building foundations. As the building is quite old I rather doubt that foundations are particularly deep.
    The party wall is now broken from top to bottom, directly between two conifers planted around 2m apart, 800mm or so from the wall, and currently around 2m tall.
    More worryingly, a bay tree is also planted 1m from the wall and is just 2m from the foundations of our house. Although presently 2.5-3m high at this time this appears to be a vigorous grower and I understand that bay trees mature to around 12m high and 10m wide.
    Worse, there is a eucalyptus planted some 2m from the wall and just 2m from the foundations. I understand that this tree can grow to 20m height, and should never be planted anywhere near a house as it will suck moisture from foundations, leading to a real risk of subsidence, particularly on a clay soil â?? we are in the SE, near Hythe in Kent.
    Should I be worried, and, if so, what is best course of action.
    Our concern has been voiced on a number of occasions but without response nor action.
    Many thanks

2. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    I would also be worried, have you spoken to your neighbour about the trees and the damage to the wall. I woul dhave thought they would be worried if it was explained to them.

If their trees have damaged the walls etc then it would be their responsibilty to repair any damage. If the trees are only just planted, i dont think their would be any problem in telling your insurance company, but better not to hide info in cae they use that to decline a claim.

Im sure that someone will know the exact legal position on here :)

3. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi tac1,

I was reading this and wasn't concerned until I came across the part saying about the eucalyptus!
    The first people to talk do would be your insurance company - the quicker they know the better. If you tell them too late then they may well use that as an excuse for not paying up should anything happen. I'd also say take a number of photos and write a letter to your insurers stating exactly what you have here - dates, species, distances etc., even for your own records. You may also want to try the expertise of a qualified arboricultural consultant. He will provide you with a thorough written report that you can then discuss with your neighbour and/or insurers.

All the best.

4. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My parents had a problem with subsidence and the insurance company sent round somebody to look at the plant life. They took out anything they could get their hand on! They don't tend to like trees, best let them know asap, they will send round somebody and hire a tree surgeon if necessary.