Problem bank - help please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Chas Collett, May 23, 2009.

1. Chas Collett

Chas Collett Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    We live in a coastal location and have a problem with a high, rather steep bank that we would like to plant with fast growing ground cover plants. We have been advised that cotoneaster horizontalis might be a good option but would appreciate advice and comments about this. The bank as it is presents a real problem to strim because of its steepness.
    We are about a mile from the North Cornish coast in a location that is quite windy. The bank faces north but is an open situation and gets sunlight for most of the day.
    I attach a photo of said bank, taken before we planted a few hebes over on the right hand side, which have taken well and are growing (rather slowly!).
    Any help or advice would be very gratefully received!
    Many thanks,
    Chas

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Chas Collett I think Cistus x Purpureus (Rock Roses)would look and be more than adequate,They Do,nt mind the Wind ,salt water ,and Grow pretty quickly and they love being on a Bank:)

[​IMG]

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    :) Hello Chas and welcome to GC.

My initial thought is the Hottentot Fig which I understand grows beautifully on the South Coast in Cornwall, Devon and to other parts.. My other thought is Osteopermum which sprawls all over the place. There's also the Hibbertia scandens (Snake Vine). All these three tolerate coastal conditions and neglect but not sure really how low they can go temperaturewise, but just a few suggestions that would quickly cover a bank and need little care.

I also agree with woo's suggestion.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum.