problem with moss

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by brooli, Nov 24, 2008.

1. brooli

brooli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am having problems with moss on my lawn and surrounding rockery.This area doesn't receive much sun and with the last two damp summers it is getting worse. I have tried feed/moss killer without much success. I have heard there is a bacteria you can get that instead of killing the moss will completely remove it by eating it . I cannot remember what the bacteria is called and would be very grateful if someone could let me know.

Thanks in advance,

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,863
    Erm, not heard of that one before!
    What's the drainage like?

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Not heard of that Brooli. Just use lawn sand, and kill it off.:thumb:

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I like moss in my lawn, I tried to get rid of it when we first moved to this house but it was a losing battle, actually moss makes a nice soft lawn that needs mowing very rarely - so it suits me.

5. brooli

brooli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your fast responses. The lawn is north facing so doesn't get a lot of sun and has been laid on cinders and is also on a slight slope. I have only lived in the house for two years so I don't know what the drainage is normally like without the exceptionally wet weather.I have fed the lawn during the summer with a mixture of sulphate of ammonia and iron and I have used a electric lawn raker on it in September which removed a lot of the dead moss . I was thinking that the benifits of using the bacteria as opposed to moss killer is that there would be no dead moss left on the lawn and also remove the moss off the rockery after which the bacteria would starve when the moss has been eaten.:lollol:

6. thelawnexpert

thelawnexpert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have read your plea for help what you need to do is. But first this is why you have the problem

The reason for your moss is
    A) Compaction as well as light laws need to breath. Because a tree holds water then drips it in larger droplets than rain this is call the drip line of a tree this hardens the ground causing compaction.
    B) during dry weather the tree will take out the moisture which the lawn needs, this will slow growth down during the summer and put further stress on the sward.

You need to do this.

1) Hollowtine aerate the lawn with and aerator to get the right depth you need a professional machine this will allow the lawn to breathe and will create holes which will store rain water for the turf it will also irradicate the compastion.

2) feed the lawn with a good nitrogen feed this will actually help it to out grow the moss.

If you do both these things you are not having to fight the moss (treat the cause not the sympton)

If you need more help or advice email me

thelawnexpert

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi According to a dvd I recently received off a fine member of the forum, moss is the result of damp compaction. It needs the soil to be hard to thrive or rather for the grass not to thrive, so if you have been working in the rockery area a great deal or is walked over a lot in general -and just creating a rockery area-all the tramping to and fro over it will cause the ideal conditions. A feed and weed formula to be applied in spring in the first instance, and has been recommended hollow tined aeration of the area to a depth of at least 4/5 inches is necessary, followed by sweeping sharp sand into the holes created will fix the problem. Then a layer of compost mixed with grass seed sprinkled over the patchy areas is the way to go. All this should be done ideally in autumn-like Kristen says, but you have little option but to have a first go at it in spring next year. I personally don`t like lawns that much and wouldn`t ordinarilly bother with all that but I am under instruction off my hubby to start to take care of ours so, of course, I dutifully obey my lord and master and try to learn..........of course.

Of course you could extend the rockery area and fill it full of beautiful plants. ( Although following a similar course has landed me in trouble with said hubby)

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Its not just compaction also due to shading, aeration and feeding alone is not the best approach.

The moss still needs to be killed off and controlled using Iron sulphate (lawn sand) then regularly scarified to prevent thatch building up.As well as killing the moss it strengthens and greens the grass.

Holowtining will benefit the lawn but alone wont cure the problem.