Problem with Silver Birch, Any Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by DavieM, Jun 8, 2006.

1. DavieM

DavieM Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a group of 5 or 6 Silver Bitch at the bottom of my garden, they are 15 year old plus trees and a fair size now, they are a great wind break and look good, well they did. This year one of them has not leafed up, and appears dead. Nothing on it that I can see. The others are fine, and in full leaf. Any ideas why this one tree has gone to the great forrest in the Sky ???

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    they're not long-lived trees, although in my experience they last a bit longer than that, Davie. I hope someone else has some suggestions.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Somethings up that's for sure! Although short lived (for trees) you should get more than 40 years out of a Silver Birch. They do like a lot of water so maybe the one that's succumbed has been too dry. The other possibility is the dreaded Honey Fungus - if so it will be looking for another victim :(

Check the soil near your trees for black 'bootlaces' and if you find any trace of it then drench the root area of your healthy trees with a solution of Armillatox

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have been in Walnut Cottage for over 20 years, and our silver birch were well established when we came. Only thing we do to them is - oh and I hate to admit this, my husband sometimes washes them as he likes them to look clean.

we are on wet land, so may be something in what frogesque says.