Problem with Wisteria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nahgoe, May 10, 2009.

1. nahgoe

nahgoe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Wisteria of the blue variety which is seven years old approx having spent two years in a pot and the last five years in a permanent position in my suburban garden in north west England. It is positioned in the garden where it receives the morning sun at approx 10:00, some parts not until about 11:30.

For the last two years it has begun the process of blooming where a massive bud crop grew to between 3â? and 4â? in length and then stopped. The individual petals of each bloom would then fall off when touched. The result was that the plant did not bloom. Now well into the blooming season one or two blooms have grown to full size and are attempting, unsuccessfully to bloom. The leaves are now on the vine and otherwise the plant looks very healthy.

I did think that perhaps the buds were being killed by the sun on a chilled bud as a result of a late spring frost however, this year we did not have a late frost to affect the buds. Has any one had the same experience and if so how did they remedy the problem.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Hi nahgoe & Welcome to GC.. Wisterias are beautiful, but not without their problems. They can be a touch fussy.. If your flowers are forming but dropping before opening it could be caused by the fact that it got very dry in the Autumn when it was setting it's flower buds.. That does account for allot of flower drop.. Or another reason is that the drainage is not good enough where it is.. They like free draining soil too, not cold wet roots in winter.. If there's a lot of change in temperatures during spring this drop can happen too...
    :wink: Do you think any of those reasons could apply to your plant.. Hope it is of some help, but I am sure others will be along later with their experiences & tips.. :thmb: Good Luck & look forward to seeing you around..

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Nahgoe, it still sounds like frost damage to me.

I dont have wisteria now but did grow a very large one for many years.

I've never come across what you describe.

What is the origin of your plant ? Has it ever flowered well?

You dont actually need to get the sun on things to cause frost damage, the frost does the damage on its own.