1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems growing carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I am not sure what the problem is but am having trouble getting my carrots to grow especially as they have always grown without any problem.I now have five different containers planted with carrots and the earliest seeds were sown about five weeks ago.Three are in raised beds and the other two containers are black plastic bins cut in half and filled with new compost.The raised beds are what I used last year.I put a layer of manure in them in October and then in March topped them up with fresh compost and they are watered daily sometimes twice daily depending on the weather.I think there are three varieties.Any ideas anyone I do not want to sow any more seed if it is not going to grow.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Are you using fresh seed, carrot seed doesn't remain viable for long.

3. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have just checked the seed packets and they have a use by date of 2019 and 2020.I go through all my seeds in the spring and get rid of any that are out of date.But will get a new packet later and sow them and see what happens.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Well your seed packets are not that old, they do need to be stored somewhere cool and dry and dark. Will be worth getting a new packet just in case. Otherwise all I can think of are slugs munching them as soon as they germinate.

5. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Paul, my thoughts include, not good applying manure last autumn. Carrots will not perform well in that.
    Also what compost did you use? MPC? This dries out fast, possibly too fast for seeds, and is difficult to re wet.
    Watering? Erratic watering is not good either. (Hence my apprehensions about MPC). Soil needs to be reasonably moist and not dry out too much.
    I dont think the issue is with your seed. Maybe too the weather recently in addition to points already referred to

Hopefully not to rub salt into the wound, but my first carrots were sown in April and now edible. Second lot not far away. I tend to avoid any fertiliser when sowing or during the same year of growing. I cultivate a no dig system but a hand cultivator is used to lighten the soil and create a nice crumbly structure
    I love carrots, eat them from now to September:)

Hope this helps Paul :)