Problems with my box plant

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Merroney, May 13, 2007.

1. Merroney

Merroney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a little box plant that is shaped as a cone. Several months ago half of the plant started to die. It was on the front of my house and I suspected it might be wind burn. So I moved it to the back and re-potted it with new compost. I have been watering it regularly in the dry spell.

The half that is still alive is growing new shoots and looks healthy. However, the dead side is still dead. Do you think I can revive it? Should I cut off all the dead branches to encourage new growth?

I was also wondering if my box plant might have some kind of parasite in the roots? I have heard about these for other plants but I don't know much about them at all.

Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Try scratching one of the 'dead' branches and if it is green underneath the bark, there is still lifein it Any bits which are brown are dead and can be pruned off.
    I would think that the dying off is more likely to be frost/wind damage than Vine weevil larvae, but if you are worried then just upend the pot and look at the roots. Vine weevil larvae are cream coloured with a brown head, about 1/2cm long and usually curved in a 'c' shape. If there are any present, wash the roots and repot. You will also be able to see if the plants ' roots are coiling round the pot, in which case it needs a bigger pot .
    [​IMG]

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Merroney, it`s unlikely that the dead part will regrow so I would be inclined to cut it out. If there were a problem with the root system it is quite likely to affect the whole plant not just one part of it. To me it sounds like it could be a cat thing, they tend to spray their territory with dire results for the plants. David.

4. Merroney

Merroney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your advice. I'll do what you've suggested and hope for the best!

5. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take some cuttings from it just in case it dies altogether. They are probably the most reliable plant to take cuttings from for me. (nearly everything else dies!!)

6. RYDALL

RYDALL Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Merroney,

We had a similar problem over the last year with two box cones. I cut all the dead wood out this spring and you can hardly tell now that there was any problem. The good thing is box is great at regenerating itself.

Good luck!