Problems with my courgettes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by cm_851, May 6, 2012.

1. cm_851

cm_851 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I have recently moved my courgette's to a kind of moveable greenhouse and have noticed that on each of the leaves on all the plants they have started to brown and in one there are a few pin pick holes.

Could this be a pest or is it down to the cold weather. I have tomatoes as well and have noticed that on the early leaves on these they have started to go brown as well.

Can anyone advise on the best thing to do. The rest of the plant looks quite healthy otherwise.

Thanks

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

Yes cold and overwatering, they should pick up, go easy on the water I only water mine every couple of days as stated in (another thread )pick up the pot once you have waterd it and feel how heavy , leave a couple of days and lift it up again most courgetes at this time of year die , because of too much water around the roots same with cucumbers tomatoes are a bit tougher plus seem to drink more than the other plants in the same size of pot , multi purpose compost hold more water than you would think , make sure all the windows are closed at night but make sure they are open in the day sit the pots on some newspaer this will help draw out the exessive water (posted on another thread)

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      I agree with Spruce :-)

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Courgettes need minimum temperature of 10C - they hate cold. If leaves get dry (e.g. wind damage) the edges go brown and crispy.

If Tomatoes get cold they usually develop purple blotches, rather than brown - are yours Purple rather than Brown perhaps? If so they are suffering from the cold ...

If that doesn't sound right then photographs would help.

• cm_851

Ratings:
        +0
        That's great thanks, I think the Tomatoes are fine to be honest, maybe need to be a bit warmer. Same with the courgette's then.
        I just hope we get a bit warmer weather soon!!!

• cm_851

Ratings:
        +0
        That's great thanks, I'll try and make it a bit warmer in there as well and water less, I did what you said with the pots so fingers crossed they will be fine.

Thanks for the advice