Problems with nematode application

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Verdun, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    I have been using nematodes for a few years now without any problem. Until now.
    Using nematodes for leatherjackets on my lawn....as I do every year....I am finding I cannot apply them through my watering can. The rose....the appropriate Hawes number 14.....simply clogs up within seconds of application. The rose, watering can, water etc are all clean
    Is anyone else out there having similar problems?
    Possibly I have a faulty batch and have spoken to the manufacturers and the suppliers but I feel the product is not fit for purpose as it now is.
    As things stand now nematode application is impossible and it will certainly help to know if anybody else is experiencing the same problem
    The instructions on this year's product are different from previous years and I think the formulation is different, and therefore the dispersion of nematodes is different.
    Your comments please if similarly affected

2. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Yes! I decided to try nematodes on my slugs, although it's not the best time of year. This was because I have never used nematodes and I wanted to try them out before next spring.... and yes, ok, because I hate slugs and was getting squeamish with beer traps :nerd:.

I got the right size of watering can rose, and had the exact same problem. Could only get a second or two of watering before it clogged. In the end I gave up and simply splashed the mixture everywhere in the hope it would work. There seemed to be a lot of debris in the mix that got clogged at the rose.

3. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Interesting,Irmemac.
    Did you thoroughly agitate the mix? Right size rose is a Hawes no 14?
    Until this week I have had no problems.
    Hopefully others may have some experience of this too
    Thanks Irmemac :)

4. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Yep. Did everything to the letter because this was the first time I had used them. My nematodes were thoroughly agitated! :stirpot:

5. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Ok thanks Irmemac......hopefully someone else will comment too:)

6. Heucherella

Heucherella Gardener

Full time in my garden...
    Ratings:
    +301
    I had the same problem. I decanted mine into a metal watering can with a coarse rose, which worked, but it has put me off buying them next year.