Problems With Tomato Plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Jun 8, 2015.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +281
    Hi All.

This year we decided to grow tomatoes from seed rather than buy the plants. All was going well until 4 days ago. The plants were about 6-7" tall and poking roots out of bottom of small pot so we decided to pot into a slightly bigger pot. My wife done this job and has transplanted hundreds of plants so pretty clued up on how to treat the plant being transplanted.
    However a couple of days after they were repotted they looked in a bad way with the shoots & leaves looking either limp or dying. I said it is just the shock of being transplanted and they will pick up, they have not.
    Yesterday I gave them a good look and some shoots were dead or very limp but also I noticed some of the leaves were looking grey and they just crumbled like dust.
    I asked what she had done different and she said she had fed them with normal strength tomato feed??
    The only think I can think of is 1. If she should of fed them which I am doubtful of at such an early age it should have been 1/2 strength tom feed?
    The brittle grey leaves could be where she got the feed on leaves and it burnt the leaves, it was a hot day when she fed them.
    I have read that flushing the plants with lots of water for 5 days will wash all the feed out, mind you this was on a fully grown plant in garden. I did tell her to repot all the toms just in case but she only repotted the amount she wanted and threw rest in compost bin. I delved into the bin and got out 4 plants which considering they had been there 2 days were in perfect condition. I have repotted them but no feed and they look fine. Any clues to those of you who have grown toms from seed. Thanks
    Tomato 1.jpg Tomato 2.jpg Tomato 2.jpg Tomato 3.jpg Tomato 4.jpg

2. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +281
    Forgot to say most of the leaves that had gone grey I pulled off but in the last photo you can just see the tip of one leaf looking grey and just crumbles.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    ohhh my

to me they look like they have been scorched with the sun , as they do need shading and they can and do dry out very quickly , so if me I would shade the greenhouse and they need to be planted into the final spots as the pots are too small for June .

Where are you going to plant them ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I'd never feed after repotting.
      Feeding of any plant should only take place once it is well rooted in its new pot.

They do look a bit yellow.

I agree with Spruce, they should be going into their final pots about now, they look like they have spent too long in the small pots
      They probably went limp in full sun and the leaves just scorched.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
        +281
        Hi All.
        Thanks for your help. I was talking to my barber today, and as you know they are experts on everything,only joking. He said the same as pete ,never feed after re potting.Once they are established in new pots and started to grow then feed them.
        I will also take the advice of Spruce and plant them in final spot considering the pots are too small anyway. The funny the is as far as sun scorch is concerned they have been in greenhouse all the time so so pretty hot temps in there despite door & window open and they never got scorched. It may be the direct sun has more effect then the heat & sun in greenhouse?? Just picking at straws trying to understand.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          Direct sun will have more of an effect than just heat from the indirect sun - particularly so if you have got water on the foliage and then the plant sits in the full sun

• Agree Agree x 2