Product design student, Gardening for the Disabled

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by James Osborne, Sep 30, 2012.

1. James Osborne

James Osborne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all !
    I am currently studying Mechanical design at university in Manchester and am starting to gather research for my dissertation as it is my final year.
    Whilst at home during the holidays i am a trade gardener and so have decided to base my project on this due to the knowledge that i have acquired over the years.

I would like to gather information on the problems that people which suffer from mental or physical disabilities have whilst gardening, this will hopefully make it possible for design solutions too become apparent.

If anyone would like to share personal experiences or has any information that they think could help i would GREATLY appreciate an email !

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi James & Welcome to Gardeners Corner.

Its not GC policy to have e mails visible but members can reply either on the thread or by private conversation:)

• Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
      Ratings:
      +568
      Raised beds - made from paving slabs on edge are a lot thinner than the usual railway sleeper and hence a lot more access when the disabled doesn't have to stretch over 9" of wood.

Cheers, Tony.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,635
        Hello James and welcome to the forum.

Have a look at the threads in this sub-forum, there have been a few similar requests in the past :dbgrtmb:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Welcome to the forums, James :sign0016:

Very best of luck with your final year, and your dissertation (I graduated a few months ago, so I really understand how pressured this year will be for you!). Top tip I can give you is this: start writing today! You can edit, amend along the way, but you simply cannot make up time if you procrastinate and get off to a late start by trying to get all your research done *before* you commence writing! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
          +404
          Hi James. I am bipolar and I also have nerve damage in my pelvis (affecting my back & legs) and nerve damage in one shoulder. Oh and I've had an op for carpal tunnel in one hand as well. So plenty of stuff frustrates me about gardening, let's see how much I can think of...........:scratch:

raised beds would good, also not having to lean into them. My shoulder & wrist hurt if I'm on all fours weeding.

secateurs.......ratchet ones would be nice, make pruning much easier/pain free.

using watering cans is a problem for me because of their weight.

oh, hand trowels and forks that dont bend! do they exist? I've never found them. same goes for spades & forks, but that's my strong hubby that's always breaking those :heehee:

sorry, that's all I can think of right now, hope it helps