Propagating cuttings - condensation question

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Chris53, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Chris53

Chris53 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - my first post here :)
    I started propagating about a month ago - my first try was successful (a sweet pink geranium).
    Currently, I have three hibiscus, a stick of lavender, another geranium and various roses (the roses are in their cups using the potato and cinnamon method).
    My question is - those that have little plastic bags over them (the roses and one of the hibiscus) - is the condensation on the inside of the bag an indication as to whether or not the cutting will take root? If it is, can I take out the cuttings that do NOT have condensation inside the bag and chuck them?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,311
    Welcome to GC Chris. :)

The condensation comes from the warmth inside the plastic and the damp soil, so no, it's no indication on whether your cuttings have rooted. After a number of weeks give the cuttings a gentle tug, if they don't pull out it usually means they are starting to make roots.

You could take a look at GC's Roses forum. Some members have had success growing from cuttings in soil.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
  4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Chris its best not to cover Geraniums with a plastic bag . They do not need the extra humidity , and are prone to stem rot if too wet . They should germinate fine without covering . I leave them for about 10 weeks and then pot them on .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1