Propagating Osmarea Burckwoodii and Vaccinium sp.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RaggedTrouseredNurseryman, Oct 17, 2010.

1. RaggedTrouseredNurseryman

RaggedTrouseredNurseryman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum and this is the first time i've ever created a thread, so pleased to meet you all.

I'm looking for advice regarding the propagation by cuttings of the above plants as we're having real problems getting ours to strike. We do 90% of our cuttings june through september and a little hard wood stuff in winter. We produce about 150,000 cuttings per year with a strike rate of between 85-90%. The strike rate we have been achieving on the Osmarea and Vacciniums sits at around 10% so is not proving feasible. In fact in the case of the osmarea burkwoodii it's been under ten per cent.

In the wealth of knowledge that exists in these pages i was hoping somone may have a commercial experience of propagating these shrubs and could afford me some advice?

Many Thanks

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi RTN

I have to say that I don't know either plant. I am sure you have had a good Google. I had a look and found several references under 'Osmarea Burckwoodii cuttings'

This reference refers specifically to Osmarea Burckwoodii. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...nepage&q='Osmarea Burkwoodii cuttings&f=false

It won't copy - but it talks about single slice wounding of semi ripe cuttings. However I suspect that you have already had a Google and seen this.

3. RaggedTrouseredNurseryman

RaggedTrouseredNurseryman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Peter for the nod in a very useful direction, it's always nice to get a reply!

Have really slowed up now on the proagation and it's been an unsuccessful year for both the Osmarea and Vaccinium so will be buying them in at horrendous prices for at least the next two years.

I think the biggest factor with the Osmarea is the heat. They want to boil before they put roots out!