1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Propagating roses from stems?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Fattyfish, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Fattyfish

Fattyfish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Im interested in propagating a couple of my, and my neighbours roses. Ive seen videos on youtube showing propagating using the stems and hormone powder. The videos are a bit vague, just wondering if anyone has had much success with this system of propagation? Or a better way?
    Ive also seen in the video's, propagating rose stems in a potato? has anyone tried this? and do you not just end up with a load of potatos?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,653
    I've always just chopped about a foot length roughly pencil thick and stuck it deeply into the ground. Always worked so far!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Roses are really easy to propagate. This is what I do. In the late summer or early autumn cut some stems about a 10" long, cut below a leaf node, remove the lower leaves and place them in a large pot filled with sand. Keep them wet if the weather is dry in the autumn and then forget about then until about March. Most will root by then.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
        Ratings:
        +3,966
        I think I'll steer clear of "Rose " questions for a bit lol.

• Funny Funny x 1