propagator growing

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by amateural, Mar 16, 2007.

1. amateural

amateural Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone i have recently purchased a 7 tier electric propagator and need some help. I planted 3 lots of various tomatoes 1 lot of basil 1 lot of spring flowers and some sweet peas. The sweet peas are fine the basil spring flowers and 1 lot of tomatoes are hopeless. the other 2 lots of tomatoes are very thin. i spray them all every 2 days the propagator is on all the time its in a very light kitchen. can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong also is the any good sites or books i can get.

thanks

2. carolb

carolb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi got one for my 60th,had hit and misses 2,but i now take lid off in the day ,and just when the seeds arpopping up i take them out on 2 windowsill for a few days then into greenhouse,thiworks for me carolb.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi amateural welcome to G C your problem is not enough light get them on the window cill as carol says

4. weyms

weyms Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello amateural welcome to G C

5. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello and welcome to GC amateural [​IMG]

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi amateural and a warm welcome from me too.

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi ametuerial and welcome. As carolb says, take the lid off and only put it back on if your kitchen temperature drops below 10 degrees at night, and keep the thermostat at around 15 degrees so they don't get cooked. Water them only when the compost starts to dry out by putting the seed tray into a tray of tap water, slighly warmed to take the chill off. Drain and keep in good light. You should only need to do this once a week when the seedlings are small. Pot on into 3 inch pots once the first true leaves have formed.
    Good luck [​IMG]