propergators

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by carolb, Mar 3, 2007.

1. carolb

carolb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,got a heated one,put toms,savoy cabbage and marigolds in all come up straggerly neaver used 1 before always sown in cold greenhouse with good results any advice welcome.thanks carolb

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Carol,the obvious answer is, if you`ve had good results in the greenhouse then stick with it. Nowadays it`s not so cold at this time of year that you need a propagator, unless you want to grow more exotic things. David.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Carol, I think you need to look at what you are sowing, as to wether it needs high temps to germinate.
    Toms, I would say yes and maybe marigolds being this early, but not savoy cabbage.
    The main thing to remember with a propagator is that its great for germination but it can be too warm for growing on afterwards and the seedlings get leggy.
    Thats why I personally never sow seed until the temp in the greenhouse is high enough to grow the seedlings on, and thats usually late March/April.
    The germination bit is easy, growing on afterwards is harder, and the earlier it is, the harder it is. [​IMG]