Proteas

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Conny-boy, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Conny-boy

Conny-boy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone out there help me - I have a young proteas plant grown from a 3 inch cutting. Its been growing in a pot indoors for about 12/18 months and is now about 24 inches tall. How do I encourage it to grow sideshoots to bush out, as at the moment it is just one long stem and every couple of months or so, a new crown of leaves appears at the top.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Hi, Conny-boy, I'm not sure about how to encourage side branching on a Protea as I have only grown a couple and although they did branch early I lost them in their third year. They are not the easiest plants to grow, I'm not sure whether perhaps cutting the top out would be a solution, perhaps others here can give you more advice. [​IMG]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,980
    I grew a protea cynaroides (king protea) some years ago and did find that it tended not to branch.
    But the long floppy stem eventually produced a flower in late winter one year.
    After that I had to prune the plant and it never flowered again.
    So, not sure but my guess would be, dont prune if you want flowers.
    But its a large varied collection of species and my experience of one is not much to go on.
    I now have a small one year old seedling of the same, and its growing prostrate, so who knows? :D

5. Conny-boy

Conny-boy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, Strongylodon, Walnut and Pete. Its quite mild here in the west of Ireland and we have the right kind of soil - ie, very acid, free draining etc, so i think when the weather warms a little bit more, i will try it outside -nothing ventured and all that.